Odd Hara jerdoni behavior

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Odd Hara jerdoni behavior

Post by Mike_Noren »

My Hara jerdoni typically stay hidden in the leaf litter, but the last few days they've been hanging around in the floating plants up by the surface. Oxygen shortage due to the warm summer weather, preying on some food source (guppy larvae?), or spawning?
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Odd Hara jerdoni behavior

Post by Shane »

Could be any of the above, but I would only worry about the O2 levels if the tank temperature is way up. No worries if it is spawning or eating ;-)
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Shane wrote:I would only worry about the O2 levels if the tank temperature is way up.
Yeah, they don't seem particularly sensitive.
No worries if it is spawning or eating ;-)
-Shane
Well, slight worries as I'm keeping them with endler's guppies and Biotoecus cichlids, both of which may eat eggs & larvae... Is it known if Hara scatter their eggs among floating vegetation? Because if they do I should probably start moving clumps of plants to a separate tank (and perhaps add a spawning mop to the aquarium).
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Interesting. My experience is the opposite. They become quite active during monsoon and just sit still during the warmer months.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

I have often noted that in hot weather these small erethistini will congregate near to the surface; when this happens I usually alter the air flow rate so that the air is really bubbling out of the filter.
When I spawned 'anchor cats' , they laid their eggs into a home made 'egg trap' that was positioned on the substrate.
However; I am not saying that they do not spawn in floating vegetation, but when I spawned these some years back there was no floating vegetation in the set up that I used, and it is quite possible that if given the chance they may well use floating vegetation as a spawning media. When I have spawned other Erethistini, such as Erethistes pusillus, they utilised a spawning mop that I had placed at the water line and not the egg trap. Although the eggs were non-adhesive and floated down into the egg trap beneath.
Anchor cat fry are quite small, and need careful attention if one is to be successful in rearing these to a reasonable size.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
marcinsz30
Location 2: POLAND

Post by marcinsz30 »

Hello
I hara jerdoni two days. They are in quarantine and are quite active in spite of a long journey. Search the bottom for food, eat Artemia and Cyclops. When a bright light-hide, and darker-swim a lot. They sit on rocks and in the roots. For me the height of summer and 30 degrees outside the window
I greet
Marcin!
P.S.
Sorry for my English ...

Return to “Asian Catfishes”