corys and bushynose?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ignantmike
Location 2: ohio

corys and bushynose?

Post by ignantmike »

hello, i have a 29gal high tank.....not sure about measurements....i have gravel bottom and some clay flower pots...also, have a piece of wood in there too....i was thinking about a "catfish" tank....i'm looking to add some albino bushynose plecos and cory cat's to it.....would this work?....i was thinking about it because of the 2 fish need different food's.....anyone have any advise?....thank's mike
tagamasid1023
My cats species list: 35 (i:35, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Chicago, IL
Interests: Leporacanthicus Triactis & Leporacanthicus Heterodon

Re: corys and bushynose?

Post by tagamasid1023 »

Welcome to PC! Both will definitely coexist. Ancistrus Cirrhosus are relatively peaceful and very easy to keep. Cories on the hand, are also peaceful but can be sensitive to changing water parameters. Nevertheless, it would be wonderful to keep them in the same tank.
Ancistrus Cirrhosus are not fussy eaters and will definitely consume sinking tablets intended for cories, aside from their regular squash, zuchini, and carrots. You may want to use sand instead of gravel because cories love to dig in the sand. Sharp gravel can fatally hurt cories.
Driftwood is a great addition because it will provide some hiding great spots and eliminate some wide open spaces. Some plants can also be beneficial. Moreover, cories sometimes prefer to attach their eggs on broad leaves.
To start off, a pair of Ancistrus is fine together with 6 cories of your choice (they are schooling fish).
Good luck and enjoy!
Corycory
Location 2: Ireland

Post by Corycory »

I've got a bristlenose/bushynose in with my corys. I drop a couple of algae tablets along with the cory wafers and he always finds the algae ones amongst them so it's not hard to feed. They love all types of veggies as well, cucumber, blanched zucchini, melon, mango,blanched broccoli, etc...which he is the sole eater mostly.
Both the pleco and corys would love plants as part of the decoration.
mona o
Location 1: NORWAY
Location 2: Norway, near Oslo
Interests: All Corydoras, but also the small tetras like Hyphessobrycon amandae

Post by mona o »

If I were you, I would change the gravel to sand, if you're planning to keep Corydoras. Also Ancistrus and L-cats like to have soft sand underneath their bellies, but to Corys I regard it as a must-have. I would never keep Corydoras on gravel.
Fine sand is also more pleasing to look at.

All fish thrive on sand, but not all fish thrive on gravel. You can't go wrong with sand.
"Cleanliness is next to Godliness when raising catfish"
ignantmike
Location 2: ohio

Post by ignantmike »

thank's for the info
Bwhiskered
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Gardening

Post by Bwhiskered »

I keep a group of Aspidoras albater in my 15 gallon tanks with breeding trios of bushynose. I have lakeshore sand on the bottom and a few pieces of driftwood in the tanks as well as a spawning mop. After most water changes I pick about 25 or more eggs from the mop. The Aspidoras are too small to suck up the bushynose fry. Besides feeding veggies the tanks get algae wafers and a bit of flake.
Good fish are spawned and raised in Burlington.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”