Wanted to share a great medication for catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mg7454
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:4)
Location 2: S.E. United States
Interests: Fish keeping.
Deep sea sport-fishing.
Science fiction.

Wanted to share a great medication for catfish

Post by mg7454 »

I got an albino cory cat at the LFS, they had just gotten them in.
When I got home with her, she looked fine, and I put her in the aquarium; however, within a day or two, I noticed that she was going up to the top for air a lot. I saw that she had ich on her pectoral fin; that she was already in a bad way.
Fortunately, I had SeaChem ParaGuard on hand. This stuff is great!
I thought that she would die, she looked bad!
I kept using the ParaGuard, and I am happy to report that she is swimming around and eating again. She looks great!
I used the full dose, with no stress to the fish.

I highly recommend ParaGuard: It will not kill your aerobic bacteria, so you can use it when adding fish to your aquarium or for the quarantine tank with new fish. It may "kick back" your aerobic bacteria, so keep checking for ammonia, and do those water changes!
I have also used it successfully on catfish just purchased from the LFS who had Oödinium, aka Velvet.
I will not be without ParaGuard, I get it from Amazon.com, and keep it on hand so I don't have to wait a couple of days to get it if I have a sick fish or a new fish. It also kills fungus. And it DOES NOT contain FORMALIN!
It does contain Malachite Green, so it is best to add it to the aquarium at night without the light on.
I have read that Malachite Green is toxic to catfish and tetras; however this ParaGuard did not seem to effect either of them negatively at all, and I used it at full dose for 10 consecutive days. My fish are now healthy and look great!
:-BD
Thanks SeaChem!
If I am not online, I am doing a water change!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Wanted to share a great medication for catfish

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks for a nice report. Although it does not contain formaldehyde=formalin (presumably), it contains other proprietary aldehydes. It well may be that their proprietary blend is superior. It may also be a marketing ploy... as old as the ages.

It appears to be the equivalent of Cordon's Rid-Ich that's available in the States and many other blends of Malachite Green and formaldehyde in one form or another.

Why better at night? Are you hinting at the light-fastness of Malachite Green (MG)? It is indeed a chemically unstable, relatively short-lived dye whose decomposition occurs much faster in light but I was never sure if light is NOT an ingredient in its mode of action.

The directions on any MG-containing bottles I have encountered never talk about an application in light versus dark... which, truthfully, puzzled me since I knew about its light-related instability. So, I was never sure what's the best or if both are equally efficient. One thing is rather certain: in the absence of light, MG will remain undecomposed in solution longer. The less light and the less UV light, the longer it will stay around. But again, IDK if this is good or bad or neutral...

In reference to what's below: Bacterial and Viral action also surprises me. Anti-parasitic and anti-fungal properties I understand... but it may be that they aim to make it sound like it is a panacea, going back to the ploy :)

The description from the manufacturer: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product ... Guard.html

ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available. Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard™ contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard™ employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites on fish (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank. For use in freshwater or marine.

Sizes: 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L

Types of Infection Treated: Parasitic, Fungal, Bacterial, Viral

Directions: In the aquarium, use 5 mL (1 capful) to every 40 L (10 gallons*). Repeat daily as required as long as fish show no stress. For 1 hour dips, use 3 mL per 4 L (1 gallon*). Dips may be extended if fish show no evidence of stress.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
mg7454
Deep sea sport-fishing.
Science fiction.

Post by mg7454 »

Hello Victor!

My reason for recommending using Malachite Green without light is from research and personal experience.
Formalin (a form of formaldehyde) is also highly toxic and not my choice to treat catfish.
Formalin is extremely irritating to gills and should not be used where there may be existing gill damage or where skin ulcers are present.

ParaGuard does not contain formalin, and the MG (which is also very toxic) does not stay in the aquarium like the formalin will. ParaGuard also combines other medications with the MG and I have found it to be an effective treatment that did not stress my already sick fish.

I was first introduced to SeaChem products by my friend Khamal (who owns a shop called Some Things Fishy in Miami, Fla., and has likely forgotten more about fish than most of us will ever know) years ago, when I purchased my first Discus.

My experience with all SeaChem products and ParaGuard has been great. Of course, I've only been in the hobby for 15 years or so.

If you would like an in depth answer to your questions, I suggest following this link:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/gi/o.htm ... achite.htm

Thank you for asking.
Have a nice day!
b-)
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Great! Thanks, I will read it.

I reread my prior post and albeit technically it is sound, it came off a bit negative in tone. I really didn't want to hint at any possibility that this med may be less than it is presented as without also hinting that it may be exactly that or more.

It sounds like a great med for me (since I have never tried it) to try, for sure.

I like personal accounts like yours the most. Sorry for my a bit awkward feedback.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
mg7454
Deep sea sport-fishing.
Science fiction.

Post by mg7454 »

Good morning Victor!

I cannot blame you for being a bit skeptical; especially with all of the hype "THEY" feed us about this product or that!
We do not learn unless we ask questions. We should not believe everything "THEY" tell us!

No worries, no offense was taken! I am the first to admit that I'm no expert; however, I do tend to do research and consider advice from people who I know, and trust, to be more knowledgeable than myself on a given subject. ;)) And I still research their advice! ;))

I was very happy with the results I got with the ParaGuard...I know how sensitive cat-fish are. So I really wanted to share this with others who may benefit from this successful treatment (or at least their catfish would).

Best wishes,
and
Once again...Thanks for asking!
the pleco guy
My cats species list: 7 (i:2, k:0)
Location 2: Irvine, CA

Post by the pleco guy »

Thanks for that. I've used melafix which actually poisons more than it helps.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

mg7454 wrote:If you would like an in depth answer to your questions, I suggest following this link:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/gi/o.htm ... achite.htm
Nice summary. Clearly states MG is deactivated (decomposes) in the presence of light as I suspected and has some mild anti-bacterial properties. Nothing about anti-viral (these are rare and hard to diagnose I'd imagine anyway).

I found it interesting that the autor implies that MG carbinol - one of the leuco forms of this dye - is still (as) active (as MG is).
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”