Corydoras agassizii

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corydonna
Location 1: Kallinge, Sweden

Corydoras agassizii

Post by corydonna »

Is anyone familiar with this species? Here in Sweden, it seems most people never heard of it. Seems odd, I think. Our largest aquatic site doesn't have it in its species listing and one guy even asked me if I wasn't confusing it with the Apistogramma agassizii (I was baffled - as if I couldn't tell the difference between a catfish and a c*chlid!)...
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

It is very common in Colombian shipments. C. ambiacus, C. leucomelas, and C. agassizii are usually mixed together in shipments as they are all collected around Leticia. I have collected all three but you need a good eye to tell them apart when they are all in the same siene load. Look for these shipments and you will eventually find all three spp. as neither collectors nor exporters seperate them out.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

As Shane says C. agassizi is common in fact I would go as far as to say that they are just as common in Sweden as they are here in the UK. They arrive here under the guise of C. punctatus and are as Shane has said mixed with C. leucomelas and C. ambiacus.

Thake a look at the images here in the Cat-eLog and on my site and you will see pictures of all three.

Ian

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”