Best Corydoras Foods

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bbetta
My cats species list: 4 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Greece

Best Corydoras Foods

Post by bbetta »

Hello,
Since all my dried foods have expired and I don't think it would be correct to keep feeding my fish with them, I'd like to ask you which dried foods are the best in your opinion. I live in Greece,Europe so please suggest me foods that I can find in my area. Sera's Vipachips http://www.sera.de/en/products/in_categ ... chips.html and Sera Viformo http://www.sera.de/en/products/in_categ ... formo.html look pretty good to me. I possess many flake and pellet foods (Krill,Artemia,Spirulina,Mix and more) that have expired almost a year ago.Would you keep feeding your fish with them? My goal is to fatten up my fish with dried,frozen and live foods and breed them.

Thank you
:d :d :d
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Re: Best Corydoras Foods

Post by JamesFish »

While expired foods that have been stored correctly and not go damp or mold on them will probably do no harm. They probably wont be full with all the goodies it should.

I dont know what you can find in greece but I should think any freeze dried blood worm would go down well better quality will polute your tank less.
bbetta

Post by bbetta »

JamesFish wrote:While expired foods that have been stored correctly and not go damp or mold on them will probably do no harm. They probably wont be full with all the goodies it should.

I dont know what you can find in greece but I should think any freeze dried blood worm would go down well better quality will polute your tank less.
Thanks for the reply.
All my foods look ok ( some of them smell a little different but the is no mold) but as you said, they have probably lost all their vitamins, so I want to buy a new staple food.Which sera food would you recommend? I think I'll choose the vipachips.
Popular companies in Greece are Sera,Tetra,Tropical,Omega One and Hikari.
I guess I'll buy them the vipachips as staple food and I'll also provide them some of the old ones and frozen/live foods.I really want to breed them but it looks like I am stuck with males only
JamesFish

Post by JamesFish »

Hi,

Suggest you wait for one of the experts to answer or have a look round the forum as some very good cory keepers on here who have commented about food many times.

The overall meaning I took from the last post was a varied diet not to high in protein but they are not algae eaters so a more meat based one.

My personal experience is only for JMC (Cheaper & messier generally), Tetra - Overall always decent quality. Hikari - Always good. I do however have nutrafin / aquarium as fish from some shops I find take that easier than anything else while they adjust to my food.

Look around the forum I'm sure someone has posted some advice up before if I get time I will try and find you a link.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I possess many flake and pellet foods (Krill,Artemia,Spirulina,Mix and more) that have expired almost a year ago.Would you keep feeding your fish with them?
I used to throw away 3/4 of the dry food I'd bought, but now I store any dried food in the freezer, and then just take out enough for about a month and store it in a lidded container in the fridge.

cheers Darrel
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

What food to feed has always been a moot point.

I feed my Corydoradinae species a varied diet, of flake tablet, pelleted, frozen and live foods. but, it all comes down to personal preference.
On the commercial dried feeds I know guys in other parts of the UK prefer Tetra products and others Aquarian products whilst a few prefer JBL products. I personally use JBL , New Era, Aquarian and occasionally Aqua one products. I have often wondered if regional tap water conditions has a part to play in aquarists food preferences. Although some commercial products gets a thumbs down from many aquarist that I know, with one product being labelled by many as 'only good' for feeding to microworms.
I suppose it comes down to what is available and even affordablility in ones area.
I think it is safe to say frozen cyclops, daphnia and bloodworms are readily eaten, by nearly every species.
On the live food front, I like to feed live foods at least once a week, these being either cyclops, daphnia, bloodworm, a type of midge larvae that looks like a small inch worm that readily breeds in my water barrels in my garden, and on occasion when cyclops in unavailable newly hatch brine shrimp. With the larger Corydoradinae species like S barbatus and B splendens I use blackworms that also multiply in my water barrels.
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
bbetta

Post by bbetta »

Thanks for your replies.
I purchased the Sera Vipachips and it doesn't seem they like them.In the next days I'll try to find Grindal and start feeding my fish with both live and frozen foods for about a week.After that, I will do a 50% WC.Let's hope they will breed!
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Yes live and frozen first and foremost. Then Hikari and/or Omega One, in my humble opinion.
dw1305
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I'd endorse all the live food suggested by "medaka", and also add Grindal worms. They are easy to culture and should be available locally.

cheers Darrel
bbetta

Post by bbetta »

Thank you for your help!
Next week I'll finally get my hands on a grindal worms colony. Could you suggest me a specific food that your corys like? I am thinking to buy one from Ebay. I have read many good critics about Hikari but there is limited variety in my area. I also think that my Corys prefer flakes to pellets/chips.
PS Is there any vegetable that your corys like/ have you ever tried to feed them with frozen shrimp?

Thanks
;)
dw1305

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I don't buy much dry food, but nearly all my fish have eaten the Astax crumb from TA aquaculture. Tim Addis has re-located to Malta (from the UK), but he is still in business <http://www.ta-aquaculture.com/>.

I'd try dropping him a line, and see what he suggests, he is a very accomplished fish breeder, and full of good advice.

cheers Darrel
bbetta

Post by bbetta »

Today I gave them boiled zucchini for the first time.To my surprise, they loved it!I'm also going to try boiled potato and cucumber!

P.S. I have posted some pics of them at this topic http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =6&t=39893 .Could you please tell me your opinion about their sex? I will also post some pics of them while they are in the main tank.I don't want to stress them by removing them from the tank.

Cheers,
Billy ^:)^
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

Post by corywink »

my corys and other fish get New Life Spectrum thera pellet foods as their staple. I aslo feed live grindal/white worms fed on instand oatmeal. They go crazy for the live worms, digging their snouts deep in the sand :d

IF you intend on starting a live grindal/white worm culture, look up how to culture them without soil using scrub pads, makes collecting so easy and I don't even need to rinse the worms.
MARINE590622TEST
Location 2: Madison WI, USA

Post by MARINE590622TEST »

Repashy.
Kind of expensive when you purchase in the 4 and 16 oz size, but the price drops when you purchase in the 64 oz bag. It keeps forever if you keep the bag sealed. Keeps for 6 months in the Freezer once you mix it up and for two weeks in the refrigerator once it is mixed up.
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: NW Indiana

Post by jp11biod »

Which Repashy do you use for cories?? None at the website specifically mentions corydoras.
steveh28
My cats species list: 31 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 10 (i:2, p:347)
Location 2: Massillon, OH

Post by steveh28 »

I use the Meat Pie and Spawn and Grow with my corys

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
JamesFish

Post by JamesFish »

Try to avoid to much protein rich food or greens for the corydora's the experts on here have warned of to high protein diet causing bubbles on the skin and that the algae / veg food shouldn't make up the core.

Recently tried tetras high priced gel blood worm mixed. The corydora's love it. Get a more excited response to any other food I have.
CarlDeller
My cats species list: 6 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 2: Quebec,Canada

Post by CarlDeller »

Mine don't like Mysis shrimp or spirulina brineshrimp....

They love : bloodworms ,daphnia

Unsure about: Brine shrimps regular not spirulina, Tubifex and baby brine shrimps
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

Unsure about: ................................... baby brine shrimps
Try newly hatched brine shrimp < 24 hrs old; in my experience baby brine shrimp >24 hrs old tends to constipate Corydoradinae catfishes
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
CarlDeller
My cats species list: 6 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 2: Quebec,Canada

Post by CarlDeller »

medaka wrote:
Unsure about: ................................... baby brine shrimps
Try newly hatched brine shrimp < 24 hrs old; in my experience baby brine shrimp >24 hrs old tends to constipate Corydoradinae catfishes
Would that include regular brine shrimps too ?

I feed them all frozen food i buy at the LFS :-W
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Post by Marine590622 »

jp11biod wrote:Which Repashy do you use for cories?? None at the website specifically mentions corydoras.
Sorry, I did not notice your question earlier.

Shrimp souflae and community plus are good base line foods for omnivores, Meat pie is a good food for carnivores. Morning wood is designed for wood eating plecos. Spawn and grow is great for conditioning corys to spawn soilant green and supergreen are good foods for herbivores.

So I feed community plus or shrimp souflae for corries, with occasional feedings of meat pie or spawn and grow.
Ironhead
My images: 11
My cats species list: 13 (i:6, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mountainair, New Mexico USA
Interests: Corydoras

Post by Ironhead »

My opinion is that black worms are the #1 pre-spawning conditioning food.
Live Grindal and white worms are second for inducing egg production.
My Corydoras most eagerly eat Sera tablets..Vitformo & Plankton.
If you have available New Life Spectrum small fish formula is very good.

I buy several of my foods in bulk...I store in the freezer until I need them.
This preserves freshness and keep it out of light.
For containers I prefer plastic laboratory bottles and they come in many sizes.
A small machine can be purchased here in the US that will vacuum seal in plastic bags.
They are not too expensive and are great for human food storage too.
Hope this is of some assistance.

Mike
dw1305

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
My opinion is that black worms are the #1 pre-spawning conditioning food.
Live Grindal and white worms are second for inducing egg production.......... I buy several of my foods in bulk...I store in the freezer until I need them. This preserves freshness and keep it out of light. For containers I prefer plastic laboratory bottles and they come in many sizes.
Sounds good to me. I feed a lot of live food and keep all dried food in small amounts in the freezer until I need it, then in small sealed containers in the fridge (normally speciment tubes) whilst I'm feeding it.

cheers Darrel
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

[quote="corywink"]my corys and other fish get New Life Spectrum thera pellet foods as their staple. I aslo feed live grindal/white worms fed on instand oatmeal. They go crazy for the live worms, digging their snouts deep in the sand :d

IF you intend on starting a live grindal/white worm culture, look up how to culture them without soil using scrub pads, makes collecting so easy and I don't even need to rinse the worms.[/quote]

I tried opening the video but couldn't. Am I doing something wrong?
Ask not...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”