Asian Bumblebee Cat behaviour(Pseudomystus siamensis)

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
Berraingong
Location 1: NSW
Location 2: Australia

Asian Bumblebee Cat behaviour(Pseudomystus siamensis)

Post by Berraingong »

Hi Guys,

I recently moved my bumblebee (4ish years old 5.5 inches) from my 20g into a 75g, since the move he/she has gone from being the typical hidden nocturnal introvert, into a free swimming fixture of the tank.
Some of the behaviour I can understand in that he/she has claimed a corner of the tank under a stump and seems to be doing laps of the section to various outposts of the territory but still this is out of character compared to his previous habits... still eating perfectly fine but just ridiculously active.

has anyone else experienced this should I be overly concerned?

Is it possible that I have triggered some spawning behaviour? what with the change in water parameters (depth of the tank is double, the salts were low and are being brought back up, and obviously alot of "new" water compared to the long established smaller tank)

I also may need to foster my parents two cats(6-8 years old, 5-6inchs) aswell in the next month odd they live peacefully together and we have never experienced aggression, they are even know to shoal together and snuggle up in the same hidey hole, has anyone attempted introducing adults into the same tank before?

any help or previous experiences would be of great assistance.
Berraingong

Re: Asian Bumblebee Cat behaviour(Pseudomystus siamensis)

Post by Berraingong »

https://youtu.be/ScixI_TRh4c

Video of my bumblebee if it helps with sexing, don't mind the algae im fighting a losing battle at the moment
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

Are there more hiding places in the larger tank? an increase of hiding places makes secretive fish more comfortable (more places to hide= more places to dart to safety and makes the fish more comfortable venturing out of the dark.

Are your parents catfish the same species?
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I have experienced this with many fish, especially two Bargidae - Hemibagrus nemurus and wyckioides but also with cichlids that are usually considered aggressive and territorial. Also Horabagrus come to mind and some Pimelodidae such as Pimelodus blochii.

All of these changed drastically on going from my 240 gal tanks to 4500 gal, relaxing and behaving ~completely normal, not causing problems with compatibility. Wyckioides went from a hiding, poorly feeding recluse and maniacally territorial fish to a complete opposite.

Far not all fish I've had do that but these named came first to mind.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Berraingong

Post by Berraingong »

Thanks guys, sounds like I should stress less :),

yes my parents bumblebees are the exact same, I would have to put a few more hidey holes in for them, I assume but no one foresees a massive problem?
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I think you are asking right questions :)

It's a risk and the larger the tank and more furnished, the smaller the risk.

I trust you have seen their profiles such as here, ScotCat, and SerioslyFish. Cat-eLog here states: "Territorially aggressive to its own kind or similar catfishes although more spacious tanks with plenty of hiding places can house a group of these fish. Tell tale croaking noises through the night belie nocturnal disputes and should prompt the separation of waring faction before too much damage is done." https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=708
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Asian Catfishes”