Mytilopsis in Xingu

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Mytilopsis in Xingu

Post by Jobro »

Hey Folks,

I read somewhere on L-Welse.com about a specis of Mytilopsis living in the Xingu. It is likely one of the biggest source of foods for the hypancistrus there (like L46).

But I can't find any more sources for that. If you guys have any insights, would be nice to read about it.

I wonder if you could raise these in a tank to have live food supply for plecos. So if any of you folks that travel to SA a lot could get some informations on these on your next journeys that would be pretty neat.

Edit: I really don't know into what category I should post this, please move if inadequate.

Edit: The species in question might be Mytilopsis lopesi.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Mytilopsis in Xingu

Post by TwoTankAmin »

This is an invasive animals which seems to have its origins in marine environments. Apparently it is highly adaptable and is found in fresh water systems as well. Have a read here http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/155623/0 My guess is it may be hard to get these guys live as they would be considered a definite threat to many aquatic environments where it is not native.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jobro

Post by Jobro »

Yeah, most of what I could find was about the marine spps. nothing much about the freshwater ones.

Would still love to know more about them. Even if they can not be imported or likewise. If we know more about them, we might find a fitting "replacement" for our aquarisitic needs. I would love to see how an Hypancistrus preys upon a bivalve.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I cannot comment on bi-valves, but have noted that my zebras appear to eat snails. As far as I can tell, they may eat them shell and all. However, I think this only applies to small/young snails. When cleaning zebra tanks I always notice most of the snails are up high near the surface and I do not find a lot of empty shells.

If they are eating Mytilopsis, I would bet they are the smaller younger ones and they may eat them shell and all?
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jobro

Post by Jobro »

I am pretty sure if they can eat the bivalves they should be able to eat a snail as well. I just never wittnessed it. Maybe snails are not that tasty? I don't know. Maybe they only eat smaller ones as you said and that's why we hardly even notice it.

I really have no idea how they manage to eat the bivalves with their shells :D

@Acanthicus did post that information over at L-Welse.com. I PM'ed him there but got no reply. Maybe he can share some insights here instead?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

There are snails every where in the Xingu, I don't know about the mussels - I don't recall seeing anywhere. @HuskyJim took some pics of the two common species here:

viewtopic.php?t=44585

Jools
Jobro

Post by Jobro »

Too many Plecos are being eaten in that thread :D :D

Anybody ever saw how a Hypancistrus ate a snail?

The mussels are supposedly one of few available sources of food at the bottom of the Xingu. You might only get to see them if you dive deep?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”