Unsure what pleco species, possibly Pseudacanthicus cf. histrix?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Brandoncw
Location 1: Missouri
Location 2: United States

Unsure what pleco species, possibly Pseudacanthicus cf. histrix?

Post by Brandoncw »

I have spent some time now trying to get a solid id on this fish I was hoping there might be a helpful catfish guru out there that can help me out so I know exactly what he needs to eat. A few clues about it's preferred foods I have found by trial and error. Likes fish pieces, the Oscars food mess (Hikari cichlid gold), algae/diatoms that grows in the tank as ever since I got him there wasn't a spec anywhere to be found and zucchini. The cat seems to really like the pellets or at least have interest because when I start feeding the O's he gets very curious swimming around the upper levels of the tank in open water broad light. I will tag pictures asap.

UPDATE: turns out I have an L021 or common pleco
Last edited by Brandoncw on 16 Jul 2017, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Brandoncw

Re: Unsure what pleco species, possibly Pseudacanthicus cf. histrix?

Post by Brandoncw »

These are the only pics I could get at the moment. It's eye is white and cloudy looking because it's actually completely blind in that eye.
Attachments
20170716_170532.jpg
20170707_201318.jpg
7Pete
My cats species list: 15 (i:11, k:0)
Location 2: FIN

Post by 7Pete »

I hope you didn't pay for it as much as histrix costs. :D It's just a common pterygoplichthys pardalis.
Brandoncw

Post by Brandoncw »

Lol yeah just realised that, it was a free fish that got too large for another's tank so I took him in to the 125g for now, seems pretty comfortable and ammonia nitrite and nitrates are all in check
Brandoncw

Post by Brandoncw »

I pretty new to catfish, so my Id skills are less than perfect, I'll leave it at that, only thing I knew going into this was a daily vacuum is a requirement as these things poop a LOT. Lmao

Return to “What is my catfish?”