Cephalosilurus fowleri

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Jarcave
Location 1: UK
Location 2: UK

Cephalosilurus fowleri

Post by Jarcave »

So, I have two Cephalosilurus fowleri enroute from Peru. They should be with me on wednesday. Unfortunately I wasn't able to obtain photographs from the Peruvian supplier and I have read that the fish exported are often C. apurensis and not true fowleri.

I'll posts pics when they arrive on here but I wondered if anyone had anything to add about the wrong species being sold etc.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Cephalosilurus fowleri

Post by Jools »

If it's coming from Peru, it's not likely to be C. fowleri unless it's smuggled in which case it will be expensive.

Jools
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: USA
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Post by yellowcat »

C. fowleri exist in only one river system in Brazil, the Sao Francisco in the southeastern part of the country so it's unlikely that the fish will be genuine c. fowleri. I have a c. fowleri 10 years on now and I haven't seen one available since. C. apurensis are more common and come from Peru and Venezuela so that species is probably what it will be. Having kept c. apurensis as well, they are still very similar in appearance and behaviour but will grow a bit larger over time. Both species tend to be better kept alone past the juvenile stage, (not with another pseudopimelodus species including their own) or with other fish that are too big for them to eat. In either case, cehpalosilurus species are great fish to keep!
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
Jarcave

Post by Jarcave »

Thanks for the feedback. Having done some research before placing the order I realised there was a very real chance of it being apurensis.

I also realise that fowleri come from one river system in Brazil, but I was under the impression that apurensis come from Venezuela and not Peru. My info here came from fishbase and aquatic republic. Has it since been found in Peru also?

Hoping for the real thing, but not the end of the world if not. I'll post some pics and video on here later.

Jools, what would you call "expensive"? :)
yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

I also checked fish base and other sources and no, c. apurensis are not known to exist in Peru, only in Venezuela, sorry to mislead. Likely your two were imported into Peru as happens with some Brazilian species at times too, in particular rare species banned from export by Brazil it seems. Last time I checked a while ago, c. fowleri were not on that list so you never know...
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi All,

Checking GBIF, it states that C. apurensis also occur in Colombia:

https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/map?taxon_key=2344117
GBIF distribution of C. apurensis, 2017-XI-13
GBIF distribution of C. apurensis, 2017-XI-13

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jarcave

Post by Jarcave »

Thanks again for the additional info.

I can't find anything suggesting that fowleri are banned from export in Brazil. Can anyone else?
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

If they're not on the undernoted list, they're effectively banned.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ib ... e_list.php

Jools
Jarcave

Post by Jarcave »

Jools wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 21:30 If they're not on the undernoted list, they're effectively banned.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ib ... e_list.php

Jools
Thanks again Jools. That's a very interesting read. I should take delivery tomorrow morning so we'll see what we get.

Just putting together a Corydoras order as I type. Will be fun matching the invoice names to what really turns up next week. :)
yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

Thanks Jools for posting the IBAMA approved export list, many questions now answered from past inquiries on the subject as a result. No wonder a c. fowleri hasn't shown up for sale in recent years, being banned from export. Also notable and missing from the same list are two pseudopimelodus species, p. mangurus and p. charus never seen for sale anyway. Several microglanis species are included as well. Most notable to me anyway as far as 'wish list fish" goes is that lophiosilurus alexandri, "pac-man catfish" seems to be banned as well. A few have been successfully captive bred in recent years but not seen for sale lately that I know of, unfortunately. Having checked my 'my fish' list, I've had my c. fowleri for over 12 1/2 years now, she's quite pampered and more precious now that I know I'll never see another...
Jarcave

Post by Jarcave »

I doubt anyone will be surprised to find out that they are in fact Cephalosilurus apurensis. :)

Very nice looking fish though.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”