Corydoras With No Barbels

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
UHav2HavAHatchet
Location 1: Australia

Corydoras With No Barbels

Post by UHav2HavAHatchet »

Hi there..
I recently brought 3 jullii corys, for AU $10.50..
Anyhow, when I brought them home, I realised that one has completely worn out barbels... :( I did note that they were in a tank with coral pieces and sharp stones mixed into the substrate, and asked for ones with the longest barbels.

The gravel in my tank is no more than 1cm long, and is smoothed. There is a LOT of driftwood in the tank, and several large leafed plants for my corys to rest on. I've given the tank a small dosage of melafix...but I'm wondering if this cory will grow it's barbels back?

And will this gravel be okay? I'm having trouble finding some normal river sand to scatter around the tank bottom...but do plan on having sandy regions...

All replies will be appreciated,
Dani :)
I love hatchetfish.
http://www.fishprofiles.com
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

if the water parameters are good, the barbels should grow back, but it will probably take a long time. (i had a similar problem where 2 were missing and 2 were shortened. it took over 6 months for them to grow back)

-Liz
macquatic
Location 1: Inverness, Scotland

Post by macquatic »

:wink: The barbels will grow back but it will take some time. Round smooth gravel will be fine, just keep it clean and you shouldn't have any problems. :thumbsup: Mac.
What we anticipate seldom occurs. What we least expect generally happens.
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

The gravel in my tank is no more than 1cm long, and is smoothed.
The problem with gravel this large is that food gets down in between and your Cory's won't be able to reach it and then the food rots and will start to cause polution problems.This is why sand is the best option. The barbels may regrow providing they are not completely worn down, but it will be a long slow proccess.

Ian

PS please add your location to your profile. Country will do.
UHav2HavAHatchet
Location 1: Australia

Post by UHav2HavAHatchet »

Thanks for your replies.
My tank maintenance is regular, if not weekly...bi weekly...and my tank is understocked.
I will place their wafers on actual pieces of driftwood, until I can get some sand.

Hopefully they'll grow back rapidly...
Dani :D
I love hatchetfish.
http://www.fishprofiles.com

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”