Breeding Otocinclus - Warning, plenty pics...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Carmencatfish
Location 1: Derby ,UK

Breeding Otocinclus - Warning, plenty pics...

Post by Carmencatfish »

Hi all

We didn't intentionally start to breed them. Our panda cories started one weekend and the following weekend the otos started. We didn't feed them anything special. We noticed two females were really swollen and then they just started.

1. Goes without saying, never put otos in a new tank. Our community planted tank had been established for over 4 months when we got our otos. Our tank had lots of algae and with all plecos, a bit of bogwood.

2. Have a breeding group of at least 5, as they like company. They seem to like a certain type of green leaf plant. We found hygropolysperma to work for us.

3. Let them get really fat, not too much tank maintenance, let the nitrates and TDS's build up.

4. Get yourself a phosphate remover. Don't use any phosphate remover or charcoal before this stage. We use NO-PHOS by Advanced Aquatics which rapidly removes phosphates and nitrates. And like most plecos and corydoras start doing 30% water changes every 3-4 days. This should bring on spawning in a few days. Our tank stats before this stage, our NO2- 0PPM, NO3- 20-30PPM, GH 9, KH 4, PHOSPHATES(PO4) 5-10ppm our water in Derby has high PO4, ph 7 and temp 26C. AFTER changes NO3 down to 5ppm and near untraceable PO4.

5. Once the pair spawn, they lay between 2-6 eggs. They lay them on the underside of the hydropolysperma and we wait till they've laid, then remove the leaf. We already had a breeding net in our fry tank with panda cory fry and eggs. The breeding net is in a good flow. Luckily for us, the breeding net was full of algae, plenty food for oto fry. The parents spawned every 7-10 days. We have a 60% survival rate at the moment. We have definately observed 2 females spawning with the male during the spawning day. They normally start in the morning, and go all day into the evening.

6. As for how they spawn, typical cory fashion. The eggs take 48 hours to hatch and are smaller than cory eggs, although similar in appearance. The fry take about a day to absorb a HUGE egg sac, in comparison to their size. They then are free swimming, either stuck to the side of the breeding net, on a leaf or skimming the water. I do feed our panda fry microworms 3 times daily, so the oto fry may be eating some of this too. As soon as they are about 7-10 days old, I release them into the fry tank where they grow at an alarming rate.

Their tank mates are 5 panda and 5 sterbai cories, 2 angels, 2 Queen Arabesques, 1 baby albino BN, 5 harlequin, 5 white cloud mountain minnows, 3 Red Whiptails, 9 cardinals and a lone molly (from our livebearer days). Oh, and 5 Japonica/Amano shrimp.

I can't take all the credit, hubby organized all the tank requirements and parameters. My job is looking after the eggs and rearing the young. Hope this helps you all, if you can add to it, let us know.

As for type, not too sure. They all seem to look very similar. I am leaning towards mariae.

The parents spawning

Image[/img]

The eggs

Newly hatched fry
[/img]

2 Day old fry

4 Day old fry
[/img]

16 Day old fry

2 Month old fry
[/img]

We have put some of the older fry into our community tank and they have almost reached the size of the parents. They are now 3 and a half months old. They have been a joy to watch grow, especially at the rate they grow.

And finally, our community tank, where all the "action" takes place.

And our fry tank
[/img]

Hope those who wish to breed them find some useful info here.

Last edited by Carmencatfish on 16 Aug 2006, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
48"x15"x18" Tropical fish tank,planted with few fish and we also have a 24"x15"x15" Tropical, used mainly to raise Corydoras fry(panda, bronze and Trilineatus) and Oto fry
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

The breeding pics are wonderful. :D I have a feeling I have 10 Otos in a 75 gallon. In that group, there's a pair that's been going at it for a few months, but I can't get at the eggs(about half the size of Corydora eggs?)I'm certain the Corydoras are eating the eggs. What time of day do you notice the breeding?
Amanda
Carmencatfish
Location 1: Derby ,UK

Post by Carmencatfish »

Thanks Amanda

Our otos normally start in the morning, right when I decide to feed the fish. They are a bit difficult to get to, having to remove the entire leaf, normally pretty low leaves. Once our pandas realize they are spawning, they follow them around eating the eggs. The otos eat some too, as well as the cardinals.

Loads of people have said they started off with 5 and now have 6 otos. So I don't think breeding is unheard of, just not always caught, plus raising the fry is the difficult part. Having enough algae to sustain them till they can be released is pretty difficult.

:D
48"x15"x18" Tropical fish tank,planted with few fish and we also have a 24"x15"x15" Tropical, used mainly to raise Corydoras fry(panda, bronze and Trilineatus) and Oto fry
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Those are definitely amazing pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us! It makes me want to get more otos for my planted tank again :lol: .

Barbie
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Although it isn't unheard of, it is NOT common for otos to breed in aquaria, and even rarer that the owner notices, and rarer still that he takes pictures!

Congrats!
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Oto spawn

Post by apistomaster »

I congratulate you on your success and fine photos. Your photos and those of another member's of the fry at about 1 month old are some of the more interesting or at least I should say my favorites. I love the way they are miniature replicas of the adults. Very cool. I have a couple of Paraotocinclus species I hope to have spawn. I think it is no coincidence that they spawn about the same time as the Corydoras. So many have reported the same thing. Also the slacking off on routine maintenance and then resumption seems like a technique that works well with the SA catfish. Another thing you did by using the phosphate remover reminds me of what works well for me, I take a similar approach but I use SeaChem's Purigen resin and that seems to trigger spawning. Isn't it too bad we can't isolate and bottle the pheromones released by the spawning fish so we could induce spawns at will?
Larry
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Shaun
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Catfish...

Post by Shaun »

Fantastic set of pictures!!!
Makes me want to give Otocinclus a go :D
Shaun
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I think the Otos maybe breeding at the same time as the Corydoras. I thought the Corydoras were laying smaller eggs. Now I know when I take the eggs out of the tank, I need to separate them from the Corydora eggs and feed them algae instead of baby brine shrimp! :D
Amanda
Daniel Machado
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Fortaleza - CE - Brazil

Post by Daniel Machado »

Nice pics... Congratulations on the spawn, ,and thanks for sharing. 8) 8) 8)

Best regards.

Daniel.
Csababá
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Hungary, Békés, Gyula

Re: Breeding Otocinclus - Warning, plenty pics...

Post by Csababá »

Hi!. It's been a long time but I just read this and the pictures are gone. Does anybody have them? Thx in advance.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

You may want to send a PM to the author of the post. I had a look at Photobucket, and it seems like they are not there any more - I don't know if photobucket is one of those sites where photos aren't permanent, or if the user deleted them because of lack of space, or something else.

--
Mats
Carp37
My cats species list: 16 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:75)
Location 2: Aughton UK
Interests: fish, fishing, fossils, evolution/taxonomy, films

Post by Carp37 »

I use photobucket, and as far as I know the photos remain hosted until the user deletes them- space on the free version used to be quite limited, but it's been expanded quite a bit now; however, I still know members who do run out of space and have to delete some.
Megalechis thoracata, Callichthys callichthys, Brochis splendens (and progeny), Corydoras sterbai, C. weitzmani, CW044 cf. pestai, CW021 cf. axelrodi, Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus (and progeny), Panaque maccus, Panaque nigrolineatus, Synodontis eupterus
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I have photos on photobucket for over 5 years now

But I only have say 60 in my account, so no reason to delete any
cats have whiskers
Csababá
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Hungary, Békés, Gyula

Post by Csababá »

Thanks for the advices.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”