My images: 942
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

14 June 2009 - AntiSpam measures

Post by Jools »

As many of you have noticed, the SPAM bots and human spammers are getting more sophisticated. To address this, I've put some effort into developing a method of stopping all automated registrations. This has been in for a week and we have not had any SPAM users since then.

Next weekend I will remove all users with zero posts. If you use the site but don't post, you will be removed (but you can reregister) however an easier step would be to consider acting upon the information now sent to new users. They are advised as follows in the welcome email which they get once they register:
Thank you for registering, your account is currently inactive. You cannot use it until you visit the following link - {U_ACTIVATE} - please click on it now.

From time to time, we remove users that have made no posts to the forum, this is done primarily to remove SPAM, but generally just to keep things neat and tidy. To avoid being removed, we strongly recommend you post at least once and it's customary to use the "Speak Easy" forum to do so. Just say hello, maybe tell us a little about your fish like how long you've been keeping them, areas of interest, whatever you like!

Here is the link to the "which part of the world are you from" post which might also be a good starting point:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... ?f=2&t=446

Jools

Return to “Site Announcements”