Syno rescued

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
WackAttack
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Northeast

Syno rescued

Post by WackAttack »

Hey all,

I recently "rescued" this syno from a friend who is moving and can't take his tank with him. He's had this syno in his tank for 5 years and isn't entirely sure what type it is. I'd like to know what type it is so it fits in my tank (29 gal) and will get along with any of its tankmates.
Syno.jpg
Thank you for your help!
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Syno rescued

Post by Bas Pels »

I think it is S eupterus, as this is the only species with this kind of dorsal
cats have whiskers
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Despite unusual body proportions it is indeed a eupterus. I've always assumed they are carelessly and cheaply farmed (and sold in every pet store) so deviations from the norm abound.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
WackAttack
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Northeast

Post by WackAttack »

Thank you for your help guys! Eupterus looked the most similar from the "COMMONLY ASKED ABOUT SPECIES - IS THIS YOUR FISH?" list but his shape and the white stripe down his sides made me less than certain.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yeah, it's body proportions are a strong departure from the norm.

The white line I've missed first. You are right, it is there. It's called an LLE - a lateral line erosion disease and one common cause is the lack of green / plant matter in syno diet or a sort of dietary disbalance that results in a nutritional deficiency of a vital element. I'd recommend to read up on LLE here on this forum (use search) and other places if you wish. I recall there have been pretty informative discussions on the topic not terribly long ago.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Lenapair
Location 1: New York
Location 2: United Stated

Post by Lenapair »

Hi. I have a Synodontis Eupterus that has had Lateral Line Disease for many years. He is 16 years old. I had tried everything to help him. For two months now, I have been feeding him a flake food from Angel's Plus called Prevent and Recover. It is filled with vitamins and the website said it would help with LLD. I see such a difference in his coloring. He is getting darker; something I haven't seen in years. I feed him this exclusively every day. I wish I knew about this flake food earlier. I really hope this helps.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome to the Planet and thank you for this. I am glad your featherfin is improving. Just wanted to ask: have you tried algae pellets, flakes, or wafers before?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Lenapair

Post by Lenapair »

Yes. I've tried all types of foods. This flake food has beta glucan, which is supposed to especially help with LLD. I've done everything that has been recommended: removed carbon, checked for stray voltage, kept up the water changes. Nothing has made a difference like this food has. My fish has a severe case of LLD, but he's very active. More frequent mini water changes need to be done because the flakes easily tear apart. If your fish gets constipated, feed him something else that is light the next day, but stick with this food.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Perhaps you've found the best feed there is for LLD. If you cared, please, post the ingredient list / info.

I prior cases I've heard just adding greenery / algae to the diet seemed to be all that was needed.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Lenapair

Post by Lenapair »

Ingredient Analysis: Min. Protein - 45%, Min. Fat - 12%, Max. Fiber - 2.0%, Max Moisture - 6.0% Spray Dried Salmon, Shrimp, Plankton and Krill Meal, Wheat Oat and Gluten Flours, Garlic Powder, Dried Kelp, Brewers Yeast, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Spirulina Fish Oil, Lecithin, Beta 1,3/1,6 Glucan, Vitamin C.

Supplement Booster: Calcium carbonate, Vitamin E, d1 Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, D-Biotin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Mendadione Susium Bisulfite Complex, Puridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A acetate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B Complex.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you so much for this.

I am surprised, probably for my ignorance, because these are not herbivore or plant-based pellets. Still, a pretty good pellet. How much are they per lb?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 02:53
I am surprised, probably for my ignorance, because these are not herbivore or plant-based pellets. Still, a pretty good pellet. How much are they per lb?
They only make a flake version of Angel's Plus Prevent and Recover.
https://angelsplus.com/collections/fish ... food/flake
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Lenapair

Post by Lenapair »

It's $11.95 per pound. My Syno is always at the top waiting to be fed, so the flakes work. I can see how they can be a problem if other fish get to them first.

Return to “What is my catfish?”