Emerald Catfish?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Svetlana3k

Emerald Catfish?

Post by Svetlana3k »

This was sold to me as an Emerald Catfish, but I'm not convinced. The males have pink bellys, the female's belly is yellow. They have 9 rays on the dorsal, though the picture really only shows 8, they spawned saturday and the fry hatched yesterday, the fry are very tiny.

catfish:
http://www.vraal.com/gallery/cam/20030108/cat.JPG

fry:
http://www.vraal.com/gallery/cam/200301 ... p.jpg.html

Any info would greatly help me in raising these fry properly, esp if i get a definitive ID on the breed. Thanks!
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

I would say they are Brochis Splendens judging by the picture.
But I could be wrong. :?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Looks more like one of those <i>Corydoras aeneus</i>-like things. The dorsal fin is too short to be <i>Brochis</i>.

Heok Hee
clothahump
Location 1: Deepest Darkest Dorset UK

Post by clothahump »

I think you could be right actually. D'oh. :oops:
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I would go with Corydoras aeneus as well, something about the yellow mark up behind the head!!!!

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Im going with silurus as Brochis have 12? dorsal-finrays.
This looks like aeneus
cheers
Christian
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Calling Ian

Post by Shane »

Large black shoulder spot... Come on guys, I am no Corydoras expert, but that sure looks like C. venezuelanus!
I do not know of a case of this fish ever being sold under its true name. It is always confused with C. aeneus, so you are all forgiven.
BTW Svetlana, I am collecting C. venezuelanus in my avatar. Check out this spp. in the Cat-E-Log. We have a ton of info on it. Don Kinyon is now spawning the ones he collected with Jools and I last year in the Rio Chirgua, Bejuma State. Congrats on your spawning.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

The commonly called 'Emerald Catfish' is Brochis splendens what you have is a variety of C. aeneus. The bigest difference between the two would be the price.

Ian
STINGRAY
Location 1: WEST MIDS
Interests: CATFISH AND RAYS

Post by STINGRAY »

Looks like a nice bronze cat to me to. Do you find that the clown loach out compete them for food.
Svetlana3k

Post by Svetlana3k »

Thanks for all of the great info. The fry that have survived this long are doing well, they're now about 11mm (they were about 3mm when hatched). the parents have not spawned again - too bad.

the loaches seem to keep to themselves, they eat snails, swim around and hide most of the time, the corys just sit there most of the day, the fry are 100 times more active than the parents.
Svetlana3k

Post by Svetlana3k »

by the way, here's a few more pictures, including newer pictures of the fry (now 7 days old) they're just starting to get a dorsal fin.

http://www.vraal.com/gallery/cam/20030114/index.html

Return to “What is my catfish?”