What 26" tl Auchenoglanis is this

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
arapaimag
My images: 6
My cats species list: 109 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Quaoar
Interests: watching grass grow

What 26" tl Auchenoglanis is this

Post by arapaimag »

It is very aggressive at times and was sold to me at 4" in 1996 as a giraffe catfish (A. occidentalis). It was 26" when last measured in 2008. It is a couple of inches larger now.

http://my.picresize.com/TFW1JN7QUU
How I built my big tank http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... php?t=8952

Honk, if you like peace and quiet............
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: What 26" tl Auchenoglanis is this

Post by Silurus »

Based on the shape of the nuchal plate, probably .
arapaimag

Post by arapaimag »

Thanks you

The info on them is they only grow a little over 10 inches sl. Mine is more than 24" sl and 28" tl??????

Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

The info on them is they only grow a little over 10 inches sl.
That information comes from Retzer's revision, which is based only on the examination of six specimens. Given that the sample size is so small, this information should be taken with a pinch of salt.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I'd be happy to alter the size, but I do need a photo with some sort of size evidence - ideally fish next to a tape-measure or ruler, but a dollar bill or something else that is "known size" would be equally good...

--
Mats
arapaimag

Post by arapaimag »

Silurus wrote:
The info on them is they only grow a little over 10 inches sl.
That information comes from Retzer's revision, which is based only on the examination of six specimens. Given that the sample size is so small, this information should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Thank you I did not know that the size shown was based on a small sample size. It reminds me of Innes Exotic Aquarium Fishes book which states a Colossoma grows to 4 1/2". This was never corrected from the first book in 1933 to the last true Innes book in 1969. The fish shown in the pic was a Piaractus brachypomus. Which I have 3 of and they are between 35" and 36" total length. A fourth one died and here he is being measured at 35 1/2".
Attachments
DSC01685.JPG

arapaimag

Post by arapaimag »

MatsP wrote:I'd be happy to alter the size, but I do need a photo with some sort of size evidence - ideally fish next to a tape-measure or ruler, but a dollar bill or something else that is "known size" would be equally good...

--
Mats

Mats unfortunately he is in the big tank now and I don't believe my daughter filmed him being caught. So
Next visit to Canada please bring your tape measure and bathing suit and some dollar bills. He likes the deeper water and you should be able to find him at about the 8 to 9 foot depth. I might be able to measure him when he dies.

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Hi Arapaimag! As always, your posts excite me. Nice Auchenoglanis! I adore this genus.

Aggressive? That's a new learning for ignorant but eager-to-learn me.

This genus is being revised as we speak and to the best of my knowledge, one of our most prominent ichthyologists-in-residence Silurus is the one keeping the pulse of this activity. If anybody knows, he would know and he posted about this activity last fall or so.

I'd be thrilled to serve as the world's poorest substitute for Mats! But seriously, any help you could provide with pictures and measures would be appreciated not only by the PC community but by the much bigger worldwide audience. Perhaps, in-vivo characterization can occur sooner than post-mortum.

You know, A. occidentalis is listed at 13" in Cat-eLog while we all know, or so I thought, that they easily reach 2'. That is an example of a rather widely kept fish and well-known fish (relative to biscutatus) that nobody, yet, photographed with a tape measure or something next to the fish and evidently, there are no reputable studies/papers describing larger than 13" individuals. The African girl in the last Cat-eLog shot must be holding a larger than 13" fish but there is no tape measure.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

This genus is being revised as we speak
The revision is already out and most of the sorting of the Cat-eLog has been done, for now...there may still be the odd image that still needs to be tweaked(the one mentioned above) and according to this revision there most likely is some yet undescribed species our there.

Birger
Birger
JoePlec
Location 2: Liverpool

Post by JoePlec »

arapaimag wrote:
MatsP wrote:I'd be happy to alter the size, but I do need a photo with some sort of size evidence - ideally fish next to a tape-measure or ruler, but a dollar bill or something else that is "known size" would be equally good...

--
Mats

Mats unfortunately he is in the big tank now and I don't believe my daughter filmed him being caught. So
Next visit to Canada please bring your tape measure and bathing suit and some dollar bills. He likes the deeper water and you should be able to find him at about the 8 to 9 foot depth. I might be able to measure him when he dies.

This sounds like a worth while challenge, i reckon we shoud have a whip around for mats flights.. haha
megacat
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Canada/USA

Post by megacat »

I always enjoy seeing your photos or videos. The one you recently posted catching the pups was great.

I always wanted to see them in person :)

Return to “What is my catfish?”