I rescued a brownish/black pleco with gold spots days ago

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
applegeeknv
Location 2: Chesapeake VA

I rescued a brownish/black pleco with gold spots days ago

Post by applegeeknv »

I was hanging out with a friend a few days ago, and we went to one of his friends houses for a few min, when we got there, he was about to flush a brownish/black pleco with yellowish/gold spots just because he didn't like it, hue said it was a boring fish, and it just wasn't fun. I got angry, and put him in a bucket and took him home, and got him ready for my tank. He's been in my tank for about 4 days, and he seems healthy, he comes out at night to eat, he spends time hanging out with my albino britslenose. I've been told that he's a golden nugget pleco, but he doesn't have any gold fringe at the end of his fins, so can someone help me figure out what he is. No matter what, i really like him, and I'm happy that I have him. I just want to make sure that I can give him everything that he might need so i need to know what he is. Thanks.

tagamasid1023
My cats species list: 35 (i:35, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Chicago, IL
Interests: Leporacanthicus Triactis & Leporacanthicus Heterodon

Re: I rescued a brownish/black pleco with gold spots days ag

Post by tagamasid1023 »

Pics not conclusive but definitely not a Golden Nugget. Could possibly be a Hypan Contradens or a Hypan 201. Maybe a Lepora L007? More pics will help.
applegeeknv

Post by applegeeknv »

Thanks tagamasid1023, I'm going to take a few more pics when he comes out again. He's a shy little guy and spends most of his time hiding until he's hungry. I just dropped food in the tank, so I'll hopefully get some more pics before I go to bed.
plecoboy
My cats species list: 9 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:63)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: De Pere, WI
Interests: plecos

Post by plecoboy »

Nice score. Looks like Hypancistus Contradens to me. b-)
Breeding List: L46,L66,L129,L136a,L183,L201,L260,L270,L333,L340,L400,L411, and Lower Rio Xingus
applegeeknv

Post by applegeeknv »

Thanks Plecoboy, I'm really happy that I have him.
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Post by Firestorming »

People who flush fish for whatever reason need a good smack in the head. Good job on the rescue mate.
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
applegeeknv

Post by applegeeknv »

Thanks and I agree totally Firestorming. There is no point in get pets of any kind if your willing to care for the properly, or get rid of them just because.

Return to “What is my catfish?”