Catfish identity unkown help please

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
joshuaaa94
Location 1: Indianapolis
Location 2: Indiana

Catfish identity unkown help please

Post by joshuaaa94 »

I bought it online informed it was a vulture catfish. However doesnt have the same markings as any that i have seen. Please help.
Attachments
IMG_5686.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5683.JPG
IMG_5682.JPG
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Re: Catfish identity unkown help please

Post by Martin S »

I take it you mean ? To be fair, I'm not sure how often these come up so small (I take it your fish is around 4"?), but do agree, colouring it is nothing like the adult fish. A possibility based on the shape of the adipose fin is . Another possibility is , but again, based on the shape of the adipose fin, less likely IMO.
HTH
Martin
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

These two came to my mind first as well - Pinirampus or Exallodontus. IDK if there are other genus that looks similar. I think their collective trade name is jumper catfish with or without some adjective, like blue, etc.

I don't think I've ever seen your fish before. It is definitely not a C. macropterus from what I can see.

The latter is available at normal import sizes of 3"-4". But this fish is not it.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
joshuaaa94

Post by joshuaaa94 »

Yes indeed 4 - 4.5 " maybe i was hoping as he gets bigger his coloration will change and spots will start to show i dont know though. Thank you very much!
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

In the link you were provided with above you can see the photos of juvies / babies: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... ies_id=336

Here is my 6 pack when they were quite small, ~4"-5":
Vulture pack.JPG
Still, you might have gotten something exceedingly rare, which makes it very interesting and the proper ID hunt should continue.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I've really meant to say (also on Ben's post on, I think, the same fish), that , and also confuse me a bit. I must look into them as well!!!

Jools
joshuaaa94

Post by joshuaaa94 »

After some thinking and research ive come to the conclusion he is a Pinirampus the second photo is a picture off the internet of such species and the first is my catfish. They closely resemble all the way down to the white dot on their forehead. Is this a rarity in the aquarium hobby i cant find a lot of info on them.
Attachments
IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I can't help but observe that the fish in question (belonging to the OP) has rounded caudal fin tips, and these do not appear to be round due to damage. By contrast, the images of Pinirampus all seem to show fishes with sharply pointed caudal fin lobes. Is this simply an age-dependent development (youngsters have rounded fin tips, adults pointed)? Conversely, is this merely a visual illusion of photograpy? Or does this preclude Pinirampus as an ID?

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

@bekateen - good spot!
If you look closely at the photos in the original post (especially the last one), the outer edge of the caudal fin is clear - does this show re-growth following damage? I think this will need to do a bit of growing to be more sure of ID, but if it is indeed Pinirampus then the OP is 'gonna need a bigger tank'
Cheers
Martin
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Martin S wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 08:29 the outer edge of the caudal fin is clear - does this show re-growth following damage?
Really? Is that how those bands form? I assumed they were a naturally forming, species-specific stripe pattern in the caudal fin. Dang if these are artifacts of damage and repair, I'm dust! :-D

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

I don't know for sure, it was only an assumption on my part...maybe someone far more knowledgeable than I (shouldn't be hard to find :D) can answer?
joshuaaa94

Post by joshuaaa94 »

Martin S wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 08:29 @bekateen - good spot!
If you look closely at the photos in the original post (especially the last one), the outer edge of the caudal fin is clear - does this show re-growth following damage? I think this will need to do a bit of growing to be more sure of ID, but if it is indeed Pinirampus then the OP is 'gonna need a bigger tank'
Cheers
Martin
How big do they get? ive read several different things from 20 cm to 4 ft
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I have just gotten a trio of catfishes that were labeled by a highly reputable vendor as Pinirampus. They don't look like the OP fish. All I am saying our fish look different. My ID thread may help the OP:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44864

The tail fin of the OP fish looks strange to me too, the coloration and asymmetry between the upper and lower lobe. It could be recovering from damage indeed. Time will show if this guess is correct.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Martin S

Post by Martin S »

joshuaaa94 wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 13:42 How big do they get? ive read several different things from 20 cm to 4 ft
The species page on here states just under 4' without the tail, which is based on the largest recorded fish known. I don't know what size they get to in captivity, and I don't know if anyone on here keeps that species, so am unable to comment without it being speculation. Am sure Viktor will know more about big fish like these. But again, that is only relevant if the fish in question is Pinirampus. Be interesting to see how the fish develops if you do decide to keep it.
HTH
Martin
joshuaaa94

Post by joshuaaa94 »

Martin S wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 08:30
joshuaaa94 wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 13:42 How big do they get? ive read several different things from 20 cm to 4 ft
The species page on here states just under 4' without the tail, which is based on the largest recorded fish known. I don't know what size they get to in captivity, and I don't know if anyone on here keeps that species, so am unable to comment without it being speculation. Am sure Viktor will know more about big fish like these. But again, that is only relevant if the fish in question is Pinirampus. Be interesting to see how the fish develops if you do decide to keep it.
HTH
Martin
I plan on keeping and studying its habbits. Simply motivated to do so because it will give me a chance to educate in the future. Its been hard to find much info about them in captivity so it would be cool to share my experience and what i learn in the future. Already have plans on a big tank build for my jardini. The two are together right now and both relatively small so it is in great hopes that they grow up together and always get along. Only time will tell.
joshuaaa94

Post by joshuaaa94 »

I also found this site but im not sure exactly how accurate it is. It states that they only get around 20 cm so like 7-8 inches. Idk..

http://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-ar ... raguay_en/
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It says Pinirampus sp. Paraguay, not Pinirampus piriampu.

The fish does look like yours to my ignorant eye.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “What is my catfish?”