grayish with lots of tiny black spots, large white stripe across side, white markings on face, has whiskers

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
caninesrock
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Texas

grayish with lots of tiny black spots, large white stripe across side, white markings on face, has whiskers

Post by caninesrock »

Hello. I recently saw a very interesting fish in a tank at the doctor's office waiting room. I don't know much about catfish in general to be honest, but I believe this fish is one of some sort since catfish are the only fish I'm aware of that have whiskers. Don't know if this is relevant or not since fish sometimes do this when they're sick, but he never swam right-side up and I read there's a genus of catfish where they swim upside so I'm wondering if he's one of those? He doesn't look like the main one that shows up when I google Upside Down Catfish since those look small (and he was fairly big) and they don't have stripes either in the images I saw. Someone else suggested to me that he was a Spotted Raphael, but when I looked those up, they have large white spots and no stripes. This guy has lots of tiny black spots (but no white ones except for on the face) and a very large distinctive white stripe across his side. Can anybody ID this guy for me with a scientific name and common name if he has one as well? Thanks.

Oh and here are the pics (It looks like he's swimming right-side up, but that's just because of the angles I took the photos from. He was only ever swimming upside down unless he was swimming vertically):

Whatever he is, I think we can all agree that he's a cutey. :X
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: grayish with lots of tiny black spots, large white stripe across side, white markings on face, has whiskers

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Have a look at this thread <"PlanetCatfish - Synodontis Lateral Line Erosion (https://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/vie ... =8&t=41524)">.

cheers Darrel
Fundulopanchax76
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Re: grayish with lots of tiny black spots, large white stripe across side, white markings on face, has whiskers

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

Synodontis but i see white spots for first time on this species !
caninesrock

Post by caninesrock »

@Darrel: So he only has the white stripe cause he's sick? Poor guy. :(

@Fundu: Thanks. That narrows it down more. Do you happen to know what specific species though?
caninesrock

Post by caninesrock »

So I just looked through the entire list of Synodontis species and I found one that does have white markings.

Is it possible that he's an Synodontis orientalis?

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sp ... es_id=2218
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

Yep. Synodontis eupterus. The white marks are just the result of the HLLE. A healthy fish would not have them.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

That's one of the worst lateral line disease on Synodontis eupterus I've ever seen. This fish needs plant matter in its diet desperately.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “What is my catfish?”