Species of Farlowella

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
AsiraBettas
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Netherlands

Species of Farlowella

Post by AsiraBettas »

Hello everyone

Yesterday I purchased 2 Farlowella, but I am doubting that they are of the same species. Could someone tell me what exact species they are and gender?

Number 1, 15 cm

Number 2, 11 cm
AsiraBettas

Re: Species of Farlowella

Post by AsiraBettas »

I've made better pictures with a different device and a different angle of them

Number 1

Number 2

I myself thing No1 is a male and No2 a female, and mostly likely Farlowella Vittata but I'd love a confirmation from someone more experienced in identifying Farlowellas
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi AsiraBettas,

I'm not a Farlowella guy, so I can't ID your fish. However, in my experience the people who can ID them may need to see clear photos of the fish's bellies, from the head to the vent, in order to make proper ID. Can you get those pics?

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
AsiraBettas

Post by AsiraBettas »

It took a long time for one to go on the glass again but Number 2 finally did.

Number 1 seems to have the same scale/plate arrangements and colors underneath (couldn't get a picture, believe it or not but these two are immensely active and all over the place with their awkward swimming antics haha, and he was a bit too fast to take a good picture for now)
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

There are two lines of scales on the belly (rather than three) which narrows the field down a bit. One of the most common species in the hobby is which has two lines of scales. Sometimes you get mixed in with them and they have three rows of scales. I've kept both species and have attached a couple of photos to illustrate the differences.
I've bred several generations of F.vittata and none of my fish have a rostrum (nose) as long as the one in your photo. So actually I don't think they are F.vittata, more likely a species with a longer rostrum. I don't have personal experience of the other species.
I do recall seeing a method of identifying the different Farlowella species in a scientfic paper but I can't lay my hands on it right now.
Attachments
Farlowella mariaelenae
Farlowella mariaelenae
Male and female Farlowella vittata
Male and female Farlowella vittata
AsiraBettas

Post by AsiraBettas »

Mol_PMB wrote: 14 Aug 2017, 20:12 There are two lines of scales on the belly (rather than three) which narrows the field down a bit. One of the most common species in the hobby is which has two lines of scales. Sometimes you get mixed in with them and they have three rows of scales. I've kept both species and have attached a couple of photos to illustrate the differences.
I've bred several generations of F.vittata and none of my fish have a rostrum (nose) as long as the one in your photo. So actually I don't think they are F.vittata, more likely a species with a longer rostrum. I don't have personal experience of the other species.
I do recall seeing a method of identifying the different Farlowella species in a scientfic paper but I can't lay my hands on it right now.
Thank you for the answer!

I've gone through many species now (on planetcatfish, those that have pictured, and those that did not but were shorter than 150-160 mm are scrapped of the list of what they could be). I've looked up many already and still can't find out the species of my farlowellas.

I've made a video of the male swimming around, maybe it could give more information about what species they might be? His belly/vent can be seen in the first seconds. Perhaps energy levels and behaviour could play a role? I find it peculiar internet sources all say that farlowellas are calm and sit still a lot while mine are quite the busy creatures already.

https://youtu.be/Q5hkw_gKFDE

Up close when he sits still I can see he's already forming very small bristles on his rostrum so that confirms his gender.

I'm really interested in knowing about said scientific paper about the farlowellas : )
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

AsiraBettas wrote: 15 Aug 2017, 17:06 ...and those that did not but were shorter than 150-160 mm are scrapped of the list...
FYI the size quoted against each fish here is the largest recorded specimen, but that's not to say they don't actually get bigger, so you may want to look at the shorter ones again.
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Post by Martin S »

I do wonder if fish number 1 is F.vittata as the rostrum looks about right, but agreed, the second fish has a much longer rostrum, similar to or . I don't know the identification key for these, but I do know @Shane is very knowledgeable about Farlowella, so maybe when he sees this, he may be able to chip in?
HTH
Martin
AsiraBettas

Post by AsiraBettas »

Martin S wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 08:03 I do wonder if fish number 1 is F.vittata as the rostrum looks about right, but agreed, the second fish has a much longer rostrum, similar to or . I don't know the identification key for these, but I do know @Shane is very knowledgeable about Farlowella, so maybe when he sees this, he may be able to chip in?
HTH
Martin
Hey Martin S
Thank you for the answer

I'm going to try and explain my fishes colors and looks to the best that I can, which might help in their identification I hope.

Amazonum and gracilis were already scrapped off the list of possibilities for me. Gracilis has 3 scale rows on the belly (both mine have 2) and Amazonums colors deviate too much from my fish (Amazonum looks to be grey/dark brown marbled with slight darker outline on scales, not very visible badger streak while my number 2 is a soft even beige with a darker 'badger' streak from the eye on the side that fades off till about the vent area height to the tail being the light beige. Mine has an even colored rostrum of beige with no further markings whatsoever, pretty light colored I'd say. Amazonums rostrum may be long but the general proportion of the head and shape also isn't so similar).

Farlowella 1 is a darker beige, has the badger streaks from the eyes but they don't fade to beige. His tail is the badger streak color and slightly marbles/outlined scales. He has a darker dorsal line. Also some flecks/dots of darker color on his face. His rostrum on the underside is dark brown with a light marble at the beginning but evenly dark at the dorsal side.

Both fish lack the elongated 'whips' from the tailtips that I see on some farlowella species, either missing from their transport or lacking because of their age?

I find it peculiar that the badger streak of number 2 appears much lighter than on number 1. I wonder if it's the age difference, gender or simply a different species.

Both fish have a lighter colored belly area.

I don't know a whole lot about farlowellas growing up but my hypothesis may be that the rostrum grows less while at a certain age, while the body may still grow a bit in width and length (correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case and number 2 is still young because she's only 11 cm, her rostrum may appear shorter in proportion when she's fully grown.

My hope is that they are both F. Vittata but of course hope should not tangle with objective species determination.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I am on Holiday in Seattle. Will take a look at these when I am back in Virginia.
-She
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

I'll try to find the paper with the Farlowella identification key next time I'm back in the office (where I have journal access).
I wouldn't pay too much attention to colours, mine change with mood and background.
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

This is the paper with the identification key for Farlowellas found in Colombia:
http://www.stri.si.edu/sites/publicatio ... _Genus.pdf
Shane may be aware of others.
Hope that helps,
Paul
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Any idea where they were exported from?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “What is my catfish?”