ID’s on three very different cats

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

ID’s on three very different cats

Post by catfishchaos »

Hello everyone!

Well I’ve got 3 cats I’m hoping to get IDs for, 3 different species- because I’m unsure what order the images I attach will show up in I’m going to have pics of one species per each post and I’ll have 3 of those in total all contained in this one thread.

First of all- whiptails! This male/female pair was dropped of at an lfs and so I have no location data for them (or the other two species). I’ve been staring at all the whiptails for a while and can’t pin these guys to anything, I was thinking but the bellies are unspotted and lacking the ventral barring on the tail- thoughts?
Attachments
415007FB-D102-4F55-9307-FA344CFE5268.jpeg
2BF6E27E-2D97-4025-A21C-1DB751BFE027.jpeg
142138AE-BBE6-457C-AA3D-0A8C7B4AE46F.jpeg
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
catfishchaos
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: ID’s on three very different cats

Post by catfishchaos »

Next up- to Africa!

Now this one I actually don’t have any photos of- I only have a video as of now but could get some more photos tomorrow at work. For now perhaps this screen shot of the video will suffice? I beleive this to be a lone left over from an order of Synodontis nigriventris[/clog], I’m pretty sure this is contractus since the eye ball hardly fit on its head but wanted some more opinions.
Attachments
9C28D0A8-8B55-4409-85A3-186801A1B16A.png
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Last but not least- another one from work, I was thinking some sort of bagrid but nothing seemed quite right while scanning through the clog. Only the one picture for now but like the syno, might be able to get some pics tomorrow at work.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
AE856465-832F-4B9D-BA58-BFD57611A354.jpeg
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

Have you looked at for the third one?
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Hi Panaque!

I have been looking through that group, to my untrained eye the best fit would be but I don’t know enough about the group to feel confident about that.
panaque
My images: 7
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:24)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Cornwall, United Kingdom
Location 2: Cornwall, United Kingdom

Post by panaque »

catfishchaos wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 13:47 Hi Panaque!

I have been looking through that group, to my untrained eye the best fit would be but I don’t know enough about the group to feel confident about that.
Me neither!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I am not an expert but I can't find any traits in your fish to challenge Jool's IDs. Both seem right to me.

S. nigriventris too has relatively large eyes. Perhaps more and better photos could help further. P. funebris looks spot on to me.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Well I actually ended up purchasing instead of the synodontis on the assumption that Jools is correct and it could outgrow the 8.5 gallon tank and that the movement of the is much slower and shark like (which is one of the main reasons I love catfish)!

I'll be making a separate thread about that! I realize thats not my greatest photo, I'll try and get some more of the syno tomorrow since now I'm just curious. Part of my hopes it is because I have no idea where I'd put a fourth tank =))

Does anybody have some ideas for the whiptails? The male has fairly heavy cheek odontodes as well as on top of his head, I went through as many groups of whiptails as I could inn the clog and can't find anything that seems quite right for them.
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

So I pulled that syno out at work and looked at his mouth, I’m starting to think this is ! I also learn’t that it was left over from the prevoius store which means its been there for at least 3 months with a daily feeding regiment and is still this size. Perhaps these photos can help solve this.
Attachments
D7EB5E5D-F52E-4AB6-BB6F-BED70FE4855B.jpeg
CDFBD1DF-E02C-4671-8FDD-A7D3560E9962.jpeg
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

I also have better photos of the whip tails and their ventral scales if that helps any!

I know these photos aren’t quite up to par with my usual macro photography, I’ve been putting it off but if some macro shots would help I can bring out the big guns!
Attachments
9C7F4690-E62A-4003-AE4C-1691940258F6.jpeg
23924B7D-8115-496A-BB8A-A910E3C3A929.jpeg
17BC28D1-B16D-4CE9-A319-407FDD0D5360.jpeg
A0E600AA-0A26-44D1-BF95-20E1D7E8E75A.jpeg

Return to “What is my catfish?”