What is this huge otocinclus?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
starz4866
Location 1: Chicago
Location 2: Illinois

What is this huge otocinclus?

Post by starz4866 »

I got this fish about a year or two ago and it just kept growing. I've had otos for years now and this is by far the biggest one I've had and he doesn't seem to school with the others as much. He's more of a loner. He's probably almost 4". You can see in the background the other oto near him for scaling purposes. He's really fast and likes hiding out in a cave I have when he's not eating or swimming.
oto.jpg
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: What is this huge otocinclus?

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Last edited by Dave Rinaldo on 29 Nov 2017, 02:28, edited 1 time in total.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
starz4866
Location 1: Chicago
Location 2: Illinois

Post by starz4866 »

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I got this at a Petsmart so it was definitely mislabeled. I've been under the impression it was just a huge oto for years now! :/
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

starz4866 wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 02:27 Thanks so much for the quick reply! I got this at a Petsmart so it was definitely mislabeled. I've been under the impression it was just a huge oto for years now! :/
I caught Petsmart with this exact same labeling problem about two weeks ago. They claimed on the tank to have otos but they were either this or a similar non-catfish. They do sometimes have actual otos, and they are in that tank, and so I wonder if a confused and under-trained employee sometimes just puts the wrong thing in the tank.

Return to “What is my catfish?”