how would i tell if there hybrids?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SLIMESLAYER10
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:5, p:187)
My Wishlist: 34
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Vancouver

how would i tell if there hybrids?

Post by SLIMESLAYER10 »

i have a pair of L10a red lizard cats. how do i know if there hybrids or not? the female is dull to bright red male is dark red.
when you have a cringy video game name like me -> X_X
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: how would i tell if there hybrids?

Post by Jools »

Hybrids with what?

Jools
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Re: how would i tell if there hybrids?

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

most of those whiptails are considerd to be hybrids.
But afaik it's not absolutely clear if the "pure" red whiptail is a wild form or rather an aquarium strain obtained by selection.

Very often you will find hybrids with R./H. lanceolata which are red as juveniles but when growing the typical pattern of R./H. lanceolata will become more or less apparent. The extent of the red colour can be influenced by food, e.g. if you feed a lot of artemia etc. they will have a more reddish colour.

Basically it's quite difficult to tell if you have hybrids or not (if it's not obvious). If adults don't show any pattern you have a fair chance that they are not. Also the red whiptails are said to stay smaller (up to ~10 cm only) and tend to lay significantly less eggs (that's why crossing them with R./H. lanceolata is commercially attractive).
However, also in the case that all signs were positive I had among the offspring some few specimen that were not completely without pattern or which were less reddish.

In Paraguay there is a form of R./H. lanceolata which also clearly shows some reddish colour at least in some specimen. If I remember correctly it was assumed that the origin of the red whiptails was Paraguay. So it might be at the end also a nice strain of this species. But this is not much more than speculation.

Cheers,
--

Karsten

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”