Help id and and sex? 3 adults

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
AnaStarrySkies
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Moose Jaw

Post by AnaStarrySkies »

Hi. I'm new here (and new to fish) I recently inherited a tank and a bunch of fish. And now. I've just found out that some of the suckerfish/catfish (?) had babies.

I definitely do not want more fish. The tank is already pretty full to capacity. So I want to figure out the sex of the fish so I can get rid of one.

I have 3 brownish spotted fish and one albino bristlenose pleco. Attached are some pictures of the only friendly one. And then partial pics of the other 2.

I'm mostly confused because the babies are mostly just hanging out with the albino pleco????

Please help in any way you can!
20171215_212405.jpg
20171215_211300.jpg
20171215_203848.jpg
20171215_212450.jpg
Attachments
20171215_212029.jpg
AnaStarrySkies

Post by AnaStarrySkies »

Hi. I'm new here (and new to fish) I recently inherited a tank and a bunch of fish. And now. I've just found out that some of the suckerfish/catfish (?) had babies.

I definitely do not want more fish. The tank is already pretty full to capacity. So I want to figure out the sex of the fish so I can get rid of one.

I have 3 brownish spotted fish and one albino bristlenose pleco. Attached are some pictures of the only friendly one. And then partial pics of the other 2.

I'm mostly confused because the babies are mostly just hanging out with the albino pleco????

Please help in any way you can!
20171215_212450.jpg
]
20171215_212332.jpg
20171215_212029.jpg
20171215_203848.jpg
20171215_212405.jpg
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Help id and and sex? 3 adults

Post by Bas Pels »

they are all Ancistrus, and rsather easy to sex / males have a mustache on their nose, foemales / of the common kept species, A cf cirrhosus, have not. Most likely due to selection but still.

From what I´ve seen, I cannot sex them, but in the flesh you might be able to do it yourself
cats have whiskers
AnaStarrySkies

Post by AnaStarrySkies »

Thank you so much!
You seem very knowledgeable. So I was wondering if you could answer a couple more questions?
Is it possible that the albino brsitlenose could one of the parents? Are they "compatible" in that way??
I'm also unsure what to do about them? Will they get eaten or killed? I have a loach and some skirt and glolight tetras and some snails. Are any of them going to hurt the babies?
Also. Do they need any extra care? Should I seperate them from the rest?

Sorry for all the questions. Feel free to answer at your leisure
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

most likely, the albino is the same species. And thus quite compatible. The fry are in that case half albino, and the Mendel rules of genetics say in such a case they are all wild colored. Most likely breeding them amongst themselves would result in a quarter albinos.

With regard to care - the tank was sufficient, wasn't it? If it was not sufficient the fry would not have developed or grown. Fry emerges around 12 mm, that's half an inch, and they want algae. And shelter, but mostly algae.

As a litter is 50 fry or more collecting them all is quite a task. A task I would not perform, as most shops will not be interested in them. Besides, they need to put on some more length before you can sell them - most likely they will need to be 3 to 4 cm, that is a bit over an inch to an inch and a half.

Growing them out will take a few moths, lots of food and frequent water changes. And a seperate tank, at least 60 * 30 cm footprint, that is 2 * 1 foot, complete with heater and water circulation

If yoou let them in the tank, they will, most likely, not be attacked (depending on what loach you have, a clown loach could, for instance) but chances are the parents will outcompete them. This will happen rather soon, and that is what I would aim for.

Further, depending on the mix of the sexes, you could keep a few of the same sex - be carefull, a male could be late developing hus mustache, thus it is saver to go for a males only tank in order to prevent further breeding.

I've met a lot of people who will never keep Ancistrus because of their tendency of becoming a pest. Personally, I would never put them in in a large tank, larger than a meter (3 feet) because of this risk. I've had problems enough with cichlids becoming pests, in a 4 meter (13 feet) tank, and Ancistrus are harder to catch with a net than these cichlids.

So, short term I would do nothing, and let the fry disappear. Longer term I would remouve one sex, preferably the females
cats have whiskers
AnaStarrySkies

Post by AnaStarrySkies »

Thank you so very very much! I appreciate your help.

Return to “What is my catfish?”