Pterobunocephalus sp. 'White Peru'

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Kirin
My cats species list: 14 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: Bristol
Interests: Just fishes, my career and hobby.

Pterobunocephalus sp. 'White Peru'

Post by Kirin »

I'm kind of wanting clarity on the identity of this 'species', while their often listed as an sp. It's rather vague. The fish I have came from Peru as the others did and there seems to be no narrowing down to more specific localities.
From research I was thinking Pterobunocephalus dolichurus, this species seems to have a white variation and I believe can be found in Peru. The original description is rather old, I might try fishing it out but it is meant to be rather vague. I cannot find any descriptions of any species within the genus or a lot of Aspredinidae in general. What is the general consensus on this fish?
Sorry for the rather unclear photos.
I have noticed behaviour wise this species is a lot more like my Platystacus cotylephorus and actively searches for food but if I try and move them out of the way of the siphon they Stridulate a lot louder then the Bunocephalus spp. or the Platystacus cotylephorus I own.
Thank you :) This species has been bugging me for a while.
Rebecca
Crazy catfish lady

Return to “What is my catfish?”