Help ID farlowella species?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
MissNoodle
My articles: 1
My images: 31
My cats species list: 27 (i:27, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:5)
My BLogs: 7 (i:35, p:389)
My Wishlist: 10
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Ontario
Location 2: Canada

Help ID farlowella species?

Post by MissNoodle »

Hello i am new, and i have this lovely farlowella twig cat but i am unsure of his or her species, or sex. Resembles both vittata and curtirostra to me, and my inexperience does not help me differentiate.

Fish is approx 4.5 inches long.

It would be great to know which species as both have different temperature requirements and i would like to provide the best range for this species and the species it shares the tank with (danios, peppered cories, trilineatus cories, weitzmani cory, kuhli and java loaches, platies, and dwarf gourami)

Im grateful for all of the browsing information there is, but id love some input on my own particular fish.
Attachments
Dorsal view 2
Dorsal view 2
Bottom view
Bottom view
Side View
Side View
Dorsal view
Dorsal view
Corydoras, Hoplosternum, Farlowella, Pleco
MissNoodle

Re: Help ID farlowella species?

Post by MissNoodle »

Anyone?
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

Last bump...
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Sorry MissNoodle,

Farlowellas are difficult to ID properly and not a lot of people keep them. I thought someone with some experience might have seen this post and responded, but obviously not so far.

Regards, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

It's probably F. vittata but it's quite small to be sure. Given the tanks big enough, and there are enough surfaces to feed from it will be fine with those tankmates. 76F or thereabouts.

Cheers,

Jools
MissNoodle

Post by MissNoodle »

bekateen wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 09:03 Sorry MissNoodle,

Farlowellas are difficult to ID properly and not a lot of people keep them. I thought someone with some experience might have seen this post and responded, but obviously not so far.

Regards, Eric
Is there a particular reason it's not kept by many?
Jools wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 12:11 It's probably F. vittata but it's quite small to be sure. Given the tanks big enough, and there are enough surfaces to feed from it will be fine with those tankmates. 76F or thereabouts.

Cheers,

Jools
He or she is in a 46gal currently kept at 77F but ive read conflicting info that vittata prefer higher than this.
He or she is very active, always out and about. Has bossed cories away from food even. I picked the largest and most active the store had, and he or she has kept that same activity level at home. Ive had him/her now almost 2 months? I supplement the diet with OmegaOne Herbivore pellets, algae wafers, and zucchini, but s/he steals the cories' shrimp pellets too (those make her come flying off wherever she was just to try to steal any crumbs, or shove the cories away with her nose to get the whole pellet lol)

The photo attached here is when i first got her, the day she came home. Pardon the clouded water, the new sand clouded the water something awful. But she has grown and filled out since.

Shes my absolute favourite fish, but it's so hard finding solid information on these guys.
Attachments
20190828_160150.jpg

Return to “What is my catfish?”