Trichomycterus species?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
dmcat
My images: 53
My cats species list: 149 (i:46, k:32)
Spotted: 96
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Georgia

Trichomycterus species?

Post by dmcat »

Hi All,

I have just receives 3 of these trichomycterid cats. I suspect they are Trichomycterus. The origin is Rio San Juan, Choco Dept, Colombia. The largest specimen is about 130 mm. Search here showed T. spilosoma known from there.

I would greatly appreciate any opinion on genus and species identity.

Thank you,
DM
Attachments
Trichomycteridae Colombia 7.jpg
Trichomycteridae Colombia 5.jpg
Trichomycteridae Colombia 4.jpg
Trichomycteridae Colombia 3.jpg
Trichomycteridae Colombia 1.jpg
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Trichomycterus species?

Post by Jools »

It's probably not the same species, but looping in this thread in case you didn't see it: T. bogotensis or T. taenia.

Jools
dmcat
My images: 53
My cats species list: 149 (i:46, k:32)
Spotted: 96
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Georgia

Re: Trichomycterus species?

Post by dmcat »

Many thanks, Jools! The specimens of Amiidae look strikingly similar. Though the color pattern is somewhat different - mine have longitudinal stripe and larger dorsal spots - but as you have mentioned this may be the individual or geographic variation of the same species.

I have checked Castellanos-Morales & Galvis (2012) and according to them 10 described species of Trichomycterus are known from the mainland Pacific drainage of Colombia. Three of these species have specific mention (type locality for 2 of them) of San Juan River or San Juan River System: T. latidens, T. regani and T. spilosoma.

DM

Return to “What is my catfish?”