Super red, calico, and clown? Confirmation/information please!

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
lisa.d.ranged
Location 1: Aylmer
Location 2: Ontario

Super red, calico, and clown? Confirmation/information please!

Post by lisa.d.ranged »

Name: Roo (short for Roomba). Tank mates with Pluto. Bought in mid-May at approximately 1" long. This photo was taken August 14th at 1.5". ID: Super red.
Name: Roo (short for Roomba). Tank mates with Pluto. Bought in mid-May at approximately 1" long. This photo was taken August 14th at 1.5". ID: Super red.
Name: Plato. Tank mates with tetras, minnows, and a guppy; no other plecos. Bought in mid-April at approximately 2.5-3" long. This photo was taken May 3rd at 3".  ID: Calico or piebald?
Name: Plato. Tank mates with tetras, minnows, and a guppy; no other plecos. Bought in mid-April at approximately 2.5-3" long. This photo was taken May 3rd at 3". ID: Calico or piebald?
Name: Plato. Tank mates with tetras, minnows, and a guppy; no other plecos. Bought in mid-April at approximately 2.5-3" long. This photo was taken August 14th at 4".  ID: Calico or piebald?
Name: Plato. Tank mates with tetras, minnows, and a guppy; no other plecos. Bought in mid-April at approximately 2.5-3" long. This photo was taken August 14th at 4". ID: Calico or piebald?
Name: Pluto. Tank mates with Roo. Bought in mid-May at approximately 1" long. This photo was taken August 14th at 1.5". ID: Clown?
Name: Pluto. Tank mates with Roo. Bought in mid-May at approximately 1" long. This photo was taken August 14th at 1.5". ID: Clown?
Name: Pluto. Tank mates with Roo. Bought in mid-May at approximately 1" long. This photo was taken yesterday at 1.5". ID: Clown?
Name: Pluto. Tank mates with Roo. Bought in mid-May at approximately 1" long. This photo was taken yesterday at 1.5". ID: Clown?
Hi everyone!

I think I have identified my plecos thanks to this brilliant site, but I'm not 100% sure, as I'm new to the hobby. I believe I have a super red bristlenose (possibly female), a calico or piepald bristlenose (sex??), and a clown pleco (sex??).

I'm looking for ID confirmation or assistance if I'm incorrect, and some information on colour variation, sexing, and breeding. These fish were all purchased as juveniles in April or May of this year, so it may still be too soon to sex them, but if possible I'd love to know!

Here we go:

1. I'm fairly confident about the super red, but I'm not sure about the sex. Confirmation? Ideas?

2. I don't know if there is a difference between calico and piebald, and if so, which one I have. Or do I have the wrong ID altogether? He/she is a month older than the other two, so is it possible to identify the sex?

3. Is this a clown pleco or L448? I don't really know what I'm looking for regarding the "stripes/squiggles/scribes on the head". And again, also wondering about the sex.

4. The super red and the ?clown were bought at the same time and live together. If they are male and female, could/would they breed? (I don't really want to get into this part of the hobby at this point, so I'll need to separate them if so.)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lisa D. Ranged
Last edited by lisa.d.ranged on 22 Aug 2021, 16:52, edited 2 times in total.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Super red, calico, and clown? Confirmation/information please!

Post by Shane »

Fishes 1-3 are man made morphs of the common Ancistrus. They are all the same species and will bred. 1 and 2 might be females while 3 might be male. Photos 4 and 5 are of Panaqolus maccus. It is too small to sex for certain, but is most likely a female.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
lisa.d.ranged
Location 1: Aylmer
Location 2: Ontario

Re: Super red, calico, and clown? Confirmation/information please!

Post by lisa.d.ranged »

Thanks for your help Shane!

I realize I confused the situation with the photos in my first post. Sorry about that!

I only have 3 plecos even though I posted 5 photos. I've renamed and dated the pictures to help, and added a few more here.

Thanks again for your help!
Plato. Taken today. Bristles make me think male?
Plato. Taken today. Bristles make me think male?
Plato; view #2. Taken today.
Plato; view #2. Taken today.
Pluto. Taken yesterday.
Pluto. Taken yesterday.
Pluto; view #2. Taken today.
Pluto; view #2. Taken today.
Plato and Roo. Taken yesterday.
Plato and Roo. Taken yesterday.

Return to “What is my catfish?”