Help Identify my Cat Fish

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
KittyCat
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Denver

Help Identify my Cat Fish

Post by KittyCat »

Does anyone recognize my Catfish? I’ve done a lot of research but can’t find anything. He’s a 1 1/2 years old & about 6” long. Thank you!
Attachments
ID4
ID4
ID5
ID5
ID6
ID6
ID7
ID7
ID8
ID8
Kryptic
My cats species list: 15 (i:11, k:10)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Espoo

Re: Help Identify my Cat Fish

Post by Kryptic »

That is a Synodontis ocellifer. Your fish also seems to be missing both of its pectoral fins and its dorsal fin.
KittyCat
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Denver

Post by KittyCat »

Yes, I’m but I don’t understand how it can be the Synodontis ocellifer if it doesn’t have the dorsal fin & pectoral fins. You would think there still would be a picture that was similar to mine. Do you know why?
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

KittyCat wrote: 29 Aug 2021, 22:07 Yes, I’m but I don’t understand how it can be the Synodontis ocellifer if it doesn’t have the dorsal fin & pectoral fins. You would think there still would be a picture that was similar to mine. Do you know why?
Because it should have dorsal and pectoral fins.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/general/g ... sh+Anatomy
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It looks like either the fins have been removed by an accident, tank mate attack, or bad case of fin rot, etc. or it was born without them, an unfortunate mutation, is all.

It also shows symptoms of lateral line erosion and hole in the head erosion. It is probable that this is due to malnutrition and including plant matter in its diet, like algae wafers, should help these afflictions.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
WatisCatVonD
Location 1: North East, MD
Location 2: United States

Post by WatisCatVonD »

My cat is very similar to yours and I haven't been able to find it ANYWHERE. Legit hours searching and I went through all of the Synodontis cats they had listed and some were similar but there was always 1 or 2 things that were different. So I'm thinkin we definitely have hybrids. Which is what I am currently searching about. There was 4 of them that I was considering, I need to look them up again. I will reply back with them for you so you can check them out and I'll send a pic of mine too.
WatisCatVonD
Location 1: North East, MD
Location 2: United States

Post by WatisCatVonD »

20210915_094102.jpg
20210915_094433.jpg
20210915_093258.jpg
Here she is!! ☆CAT•VON•D☆ (previously just CAT.)
I'm positive now its female with how much girth she has vs yours. And the research I've seen the males are usually long and thin. Cant recall exactly when I got her, I wanna say it's been at least 2 years. She grew to about 4" fairly quick and since then its slowed down drastically. But I have been told they can grow to be between 8"-18". Also,
Mine has all of her fins. But like the other person commented it's most likely a mutation.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

In case anyone has trouble seeing the fish, I photoshopped one of the pics.
Attachments
20210915_093258~2.jpg
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Kryptic
My cats species list: 15 (i:11, k:10)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Espoo

Post by Kryptic »

This is also a S. ocellifer, and this is what the fish in the first post should look like if it had its missing fins.

Return to “What is my catfish?”