Two Auchenoglanis

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Cory-headache
Location 1: Limburg
Location 2: Belgium

Two Auchenoglanis

Post by Cory-headache »

I photographed two Auchenoglanis that I would really like identified. The first one (bright picture) in a French aquarium last week. I believe it was signed as Auchenoglanis biscutatus, but I don't think it looks exactly like it. The second one (darker picture) was photographed at an importer that got it as Auchenoglanis senegali. It doesn't seems to match either, but I assume it comes from the same area as senegali, as it was a direct import. I think both animals look very much alike and match what I read on Aquarium Glazer under the name of Auchenoglanis sp. Niger, a still undescribed species. But I have seen other suggestions, like Auchenoglanis cf. occidentalis Volta. I need an expert on this matter!

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
240369193_576316763723177_3103444864217855370_n.png
DSC_1715.JPG
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Two Auchenoglanis

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I don't consider myself an expert at all. I have been working on a video for my channel on the species ID of the Auchenoglanis in earnest, having collected and analyzed couple hundred or more photos.

I have been growing out 7 Auchenoglanis myself for the last 6 years - 2 are Congo/wittei, 2 are Auchenoglanis "Bouche", 2 are "Volta" male and female, and 1 is Niger, perhaps the unknown species you are mentioning. I've had biscutatus before as well.

To my eye, these both fish look like what is called in the trade Auchenoglanis sp. "Volta".

I plan to publish the video soon, perhaps in 1-2 weeks, and will create a thread on here and on Monster Fish Keepers forum for discussion of the video and input from peers.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Cory-headache
Location 1: Limburg
Location 2: Belgium

Post by Cory-headache »

Thank you very much for the information! I'm looking forward to see your video!
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've published the video.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “What is my catfish?”