Anyone help identify this catfish, believe a pseudopimelodus of some kind but unsure.

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Lewis s
Location 1: England
Location 2: London

Anyone help identify this catfish, believe a pseudopimelodus of some kind but unsure.

Post by Lewis s »

Roughly 37cm in size
Attachments
IMG_20201124_151638.jpg
IMG_20210723_152945.jpg
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Anyone help identify this catfish, believe a pseudopimelodus of some kind but unsure.

Post by bekateen »

Hi Lewis s,

Is that 37cm TL or SL? If SL, I'm leaning towards , but if TL, I'm not so certain.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Location 2: USA
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Re: Anyone help identify this catfish, believe a pseudopimelodus of some kind but unsure.

Post by yellowcat »

Giant-p.-mungurus.jpg
I'm inclined to agree with bekateen, the fish shown most closely resembles p. bufonis to me but they rarely grow past 23cm TL. I raised a p. bufonis variant to 28cm TL for many years and that being the largest I've seen. P. mangurus grow much larger, the Cat-elog shows them to grow to 345 cm but I've seen evidence of much larger specimens caught in the Rio La Plata. I would think imports from that region must be rather rare. This species is the largest found in pseudopimelodidae...
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

My vote is on bufonis. If past were of any indication, we never get mangurus in the trade.

BTW, I don't see the memorable picture posted by Yellowcat in the Cat-eLog anymore under mangurus or any other Pseudopimelodus. I wonder what happened and why it disappeared.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Lewis s

Post by Lewis s »

yellowcat wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 18:30 Giant-p.-mungurus.jpgI'm inclined to agree with bekateen, the fish shown most closely resembles p. bufonis to me but they rarely grow past 23cm TL. I raised a p. bufonis variant to 28cm TL for many years and that being the largest I've seen. P. mangurus grow much larger, the Cat-elog shows them to grow to 345 cm but I've seen evidence of much larger specimens caught in the Rio La Plata. I would think imports from that region must be rather rare. This species is the largest found in pseudopimelodidae...
Hello, at first when purchased I thought it was a bufonis but was about 30cm at the size and has since grown, also never heard of bufonis this big which made me have my doubts, making me think was a mangurus jus never heard of them in the hobby.
Lewis s

Post by Lewis s »

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 00:15 My vote is on bufonis. If past were of any indication, we never get mangurus in the trade.

BTW, I don't see the memorable picture posted by Yellowcat in the Cat-eLog anymore under mangurus or any other Pseudopimelodus. I wonder what happened and why it disappeared.
Yes I've just never heard of bufonis getting soo big but with adequate food etc I guess anything is possible. I did rescue this fish from a store who took in fish from someone who's tank broke so who knows how old it is. The store also had no idea of species.
Lewis s

Post by Lewis s »

bekateen wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 17:37 Hi Lewis s,

Is that 37cm TL or SL? If SL, I'm leaning towards , but if TL, I'm not so certain.

Cheers, Eric
Hello, sorry what is meant by TL or SL. I also thought mangurus after a while as too big to be bufonis but wasnt certain.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

TL is total length, including tail. SL is standard length, which does not include the tail.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Lewis s

Post by Lewis s »

Yes measurement was total length so including tail 👍
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Post by yellowcat »

Giant bufonis(Colombia).jpg
Again a photo from my 'wish list' archives. This fish is said to be a p. bufonis from Colombia. That said, there are 3 other species of pseudopimelodus endemic to Colombia, most never seen in the trade and as most pseudopimelodus species so closely resemble each other there's currently no real way to compare without more live specimen photos, studies and collection point data from the wild and missing documentation thereof. The only catfish species I've ever seen imported from the same river system shared with p. mangurus is pseudoplatystoma corruscans and that is quite rare in the trade, hence the likelihood of the fish being p. mangurus seems unlikely. Should the fish in question continue to grow even larger then it may be something other than p. bufonis, otherwise may just be an exceptionally large bufonis or ?...
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Sounds like a tough one. Well, in the spirit of Occam's razor, if it looks like bufonis, quacks like bufonis, but too big, it's time to upgrade the bufonis max size in Cat-eLog. All that's needed is a reliable photo with a ruler next to the fish.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Lewis s

Post by Lewis s »

Thanks a lot 👍, time to get photographing 🤣🤣

Return to “What is my catfish?”