Differences between L129 and LDA19 (with pics)

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Differences between L129 and LDA19 (with pics)

Post by Barbie »

Are these really L129?

and another shot...

and these really LDA19?

Thanks in Advance :)

Barbie
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Barbie,
Cartman and I have had a number of conversations about these pics. There are NO LDA 19 in the photos. Just L 129 and the orange Peckoltia that comes in with them (see the bottom photo wher the young male is sitting on the Peckoltia). These Peckoltia are fairly rare and I have only seen them come in as bycatch in L 129 shipments. Can you find out who shipped these fish from Colombia? I can call them and find out more.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

*takes his Mergus Vol. 5 to his hand and compares*

The first pic looks like the L129 on the Schraml pic but the other fish dont look like LDA19...havent seen them before so i have just the 2 pics in the book to compare...the coloration of the schraml fish looks much more complex than on this pic.

nice fish though
cheers
Christian
plecoman
Location 1: Hong Kong

Post by plecoman »

Some of the plecs in the last pic looks very similar to L-270...
My favourite number is ............ L-number!!!
T
Location 1: Bonnie Scotland

Post by T »

I just picked up one of these the other day(only £15 too), hes identical to the fish in the second pic.Any care tips guys?
Julie
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Pottstown, PA
Location 2: Pottstown, PA
Interests: fish, kids, horses, karate

Post by Julie »

Sorry, I've been meaning to respond to this post but have been interupted several times.

I imported the fish in the pics from Bogota Columbia. The LDA 19's (well they were sold to me as that) came in two boxes.. and two different sizes. I need to check the tank to see if there are differences between the two groups, and if so get better pics.

We're in the middle of reconstructive surgery on our facilities, so it's tough to get to all the tanks for pics...

as far as the orange pekoltia you think they might be... is there an L number for them yet??
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Lampy,
As you know exporters put L Numbers on fish because they look close to what they see in the books and not because they are sure about what fish they have. It has also been my experience that most exporters do not have a good eye at distinguishing betwen spp. For example, L 120 and L 200 are almost never sold as two spp. but are listed as "punto diamonte" (diamond point plecos). Hypostomus, Glytopterichthys, and Cochliodon are all usually sold together as "common plecos" and Farlowella vittata and F. mariaelenae are always mixed here and sold simply as "Farlowella."
The Orange Peckoltia might be L 202. The original L 202 that appeared in DATZ is orange and came from the Venezuelan/Brazilian border (i.e. upper Orinoco). The fish pictured in Aqualog as L 202 is not the same as the real L 202 that appeared in DATZ (no surprises there). The Aqualog L 202 is different and is dark brown and cream colored. However, even though Aqualog pictures the wrong fish, they named it "Orange-Yellow Peckoltia." I would say that there is a very good chance that this is your fish.
Another thing to keep in mind is that L Numbers can tell you where the fish came from because they were assigned in lots as the fish arrived in Germany. In this case, L 199-202 were asigned to four loricariids from the upper Orinoco. The small guy sitting on the L 202 is L 199. These were part of the second shipment that came from the upper Orinoco to germany in 1995. The first shipment arrived in 1993 and received L Numbers 122-129. In this shipment L 124-129 were upper Orinoco loricariids and included the fish in the upper two photos which is L 129. So, you have L 129, L 199, and L 202. The upper Orinoco is blackwater and has a low pH and is very soft. Discus and Uaru are also found in these waters as well as cardinal tetras.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Julie
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Pottstown, PA
Location 2: Pottstown, PA
Interests: fish, kids, horses, karate

Post by Julie »

Wow.. thanks for the complete reply. It's very interesting to me.. I'm a newbie to the plecos, and I did think they were a bit different, but my eye is just *developing*, so I appreciate the help.

I did get in some L200's at the same time...
hopefully these are correctly ID'd??

ps.. Roflmao at the automatic change of p l e c o to p l * c o!!!!

Return to “What is my catfish?”