Six new species of Trichomycterus from south-eastern Brazil

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Six new species of Trichomycterus from south-eastern Brazil

Post by lfinley58 »

Wilson J. E. M. Costa & Axel M. Katz. 2021. Integrative taxonomy supports high species diversity of south-eastern Brazilian mountain catfishes of the T. reinhardti group (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae). Systematics and Biodiversity. Published online April 9, 2021 (Not assigned to an issue as of today): 21 pages.

Abstract:
The mountain area between the Mantiqueira and Espinhaço ranges of south-eastern Brazil is of special interest for biologists by sheltering headwaters of two of the largest South American river basins, as well as comprising sections of two main world biodiversity hotspots. Mineral exploitation activities have caused great environmental impact, but biological inventories have demonstrated a rich biota with some organisms still poorly known. We herein analyse catfishes of the Trichomycterus reinhardti species group, endemic to this area. With the objective of inferring species limits, we combine morphological variation to unilocus coalescent methods of species delimitation using fragments of the mitochondrial genome (total of 1924 bp) for 38 individuals collected in 14 sites. The phylogenetic analysis supported a clade endemic to the Rio São Francisco basin and neighbouring Rio Doce headwaters, Espinhaço mountain range, and another one, endemic to the Rio Grande drainage, Rio Paraná basin, between Mantiqueira and Canastra mountain ranges. This biogeographic pattern may be explained by geological evidence indicating that the upper Rio Grande drainage was connected to the upper Rio São Francisco basin until the Middle Miocene, instead of being part of the Rio Paraná basin as today. The integrative analysis supported a total of 10 species, six of which are new and here described. Interestingly, the small areas inhabited by species here delimited are highly coincident with the distribution range of other mountain fish species. High level of local species endemism is possibly related to the uncommon regional relief, with small subdrainages crossed by transversal hills as a result of geological gaps, supporting a complex palaeogeographic scenario favouring isolation of taxa in small areas. Under a conservation perspective, these small areas of endemism for mountain fishes deserve special attention due to the process of environmental decline along centuries in the region.

Notes: The six new species are: Trichomycterus anaisae, T. funebris, T. humboldti, T. ingaiensis, T. luetkeni and T. sainthilairei.

The paper is authored by Costa and Katz and one species - T. humboldti - notes them, in that order, as the describers. The remaining five species are credited to Katz and Costa. (I have noted one website that credits all of the species to "Costa & Katz").

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10. ... ode=tsab20
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Six new species of Trichomycterus from south-eastern Brazil

Post by bekateen »

New species added to CLOG:

lfinley58 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:52(I have noted one website that credits all of the species to "Costa & Katz").
Hi Lee,

What website is that? I imagine it's an error if the the paper lists the names in a different order.

Also, do you have access to the full paper? I do not. If you do, would you please share a copy with me?

Thanks,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Re: Six new species of Trichomycterus from south-eastern Brazil

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Eric,

Fast for putting in the new species...good!

The website I mentioned with the incorrect author placement for T. humboldti was the World of Fishes.

When I finish here a copy of the paper will be heading your way. Enjoy!

Lee

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”