"non" Somebody

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

"non" Somebody

Post by Dinyar »

I often see a name of the type "Genus species (non Somebody)". For example, "Synodontis zambezensis (non Peters)". What does the "non" mean in these instances?

Thanks,
Dinyar
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

These things normally pop up in synonymy lists and the best way to explain this is to use an example.
In the synonymy of <i>Mystus castaneus</i>, I listed <i>Mystus micracanthus</i> (non Bleeker, 1846) as a synonym. What this means is that the fish identified (and listed) as <i>M. micracanthus</i> by authors (mentioned in synonymy) is not the same species as originally described by Bleeker in 1846.
To use your example, this means that whoever used the name <i>Synodontis zambezensis</i> is using it on a species that is not conspecific with the species as originally described by Peters (i.e. the true <i>S. zambezensis</i>).

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”