Two new Rhinodoras

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Two new Rhinodoras

Post by Silurus »

Sabaj, MH, DC Taphorn & OE Castillo, 2008. Two new species of thicklip thornycats, genus Rhinodoras (Teleostei: Siluriformes: Doradidae). Copeia 2008: 209–226.

Abstract

Rhinodoras is newly diagnosed within Doradidae by its unique combination of coloration (sides darkly mottled, usually with wide dark bars, light midlateral stripe absent) and lip morphology (labial tissue thick, fleshy, considerably expanded at corners of mouth forming rounded flap-like extensions with entire margins, all surfaces rugose with low, rounded, and tightly spaced papillae, and distal margin of lower lip draped over bases of outer and inner jaw barbels, at times nearly encircling the latter). Three previously described species are considered valid, R. thomersoni (Lake Maracaibo basin), R. boehlkei (Amazonas), and R. dorbignyi (Paraguay–Paraná), and two new species are described. Rhinodoras armbrusteri from the Branco/Essequibo basins is diagnosed by having ventral surfaces with dark pigment, anterior midlateral plates moderately deep with dorsal and ventral wings subequal in depth, sum of midlateral plates 57–60, midlateral plates anterior to vertical through pelvic-fin origin usually five, tympanal portion of lateral-line canal moderately ossified with three distinct plates, postcleithral process moderately short and broad, adipose eyelid moderate to large, pectoral-fin rays usually eight, and one-part gas bladder. Rhinodoras gallagheri from the Orinoco basin is diagnosed by having ventral surfaces pale, anterior midlateral plates shallow to moderately deep with dorsal and ventral wings about equal in depth, midlateral plates anterior to vertical through pelvic-fin origin usually five, tympanal portion of lateral-line canal weakly ossified with two to three emergent plates, postcleithral process moderately long and narrow, adipose eyelid moderate to large, pectoral-fin rays usually eight, and one-part gas bladder. Rhinodoras is the only doradid genus with extant species in both trans- and cis-Andean drainages.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Two new Rhinodoras

Post by bekateen »

From this paper:

Diagnosis.— Rhinodoras is diagnosed within Doradidae by the unique combination of sides darkly mottled, usually with wide dark bars, light midlateral stripe absent; and labial tissue well-developed, fleshy, considerably expanded at corners of mouth forming relatively thick and rounded flap-like extensions with entire margins, labial surfaces rugose with low, rounded and tightly spaced papillae, distal margin of lower lip curves around and appears draped over bases of outer and inner mental barbels, in some specimens nearly encircling the latter (Fig. 3).

KEY TO THE SPECIES OF RHINODORAS
  • 1a. Gas bladder one-part with small fused terminal diverticula (Fig. 4A) ..... 2
    • 1b. Gas bladder two-part with fused terminal diverticula expanded to form second bladder (Fig. 4B) ..... 4
  • 2a. Anterior midlateral plates moderate to deep (depth of 5th plate 24.4–34% of corresponding body depth) with subequal wings (depth of dorsal wing twice that of ventral wing or nearly so); postcleithral process short and broad (depth 36.8–53.6% of length); Amazonas/Essequibo basins ..... 3
    • 2b. Anterior midlateral plates shallow to moderate (depth of 5th plate 16.6–26.2% of corresponding body depth) with dorsal and ventral wings of equal depth (or nearly so); postcleithral process moderately long and narrow (depth 23.9–34.5% of length); Orinoco basin ..... , new species
  • 3a. Sum of midlateral plates 61–64; postcleithral process extremely short and broad (depth 37.5–53.6% of length); adipose eyelid small to moderate (horizontal diameter 9.3–11.5% of head length); Amazonas basin (minus upper Branco) .....
    • 3b. Sum of midlateral plates 57–60; postcleithral process moderately short and broad (depth 36.8–44.3% of length); adipose eyelid moderate to large (horizontal diameter 11.4–14.2% of head length); Essequibo/Branco basins ..... , new species
  • 4a. Snout short (length 38.6–42.4% of head length); postcleithral process extremely long and narrow (depth 21.7–29% of length); tympanal plates moderately ossified, usually three evident, posterior-most largest with strong medial thorn and moderately developed wings; pectoral fin usually I,9 (range I,8–10); Maracaibo basin .....
    • 4b. Snout long (length 43.2–47.5% of head length); postcleithral process shorter and broader (depth 30.2–37.9% of length); tympanal plates weakly ossified, only one or two evident posteriorly as small plates or emergent thorns; pectoral fin usually I,8 (range I,7–9); Paraguay–Parana´ basin .....
Attachments
Fig. 1. Landmarks and measurements used for morphometric analysis (plotted on generalized doradids).
Fig. 1. Landmarks and measurements used for morphometric analysis (plotted on generalized doradids).
Fig. 3. Lip morphology of Rhinodoras exemplified by R. boehlkei, ANSP 179562, 116.3 mm SL.
Fig. 3. Lip morphology of Rhinodoras exemplified by R. boehlkei, ANSP 179562, 116.3 mm SL.
Fig 3.png (159.37 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
Fig. 4. Ventral views of disarticulated gas bladders (scale bars equal<br />1 cm). (A)Rhinodoras gallagheri, paratype FMNH 116466, 90.2 mm<br />SL; (B)R. dorbignyi, ANSP 179535, 194 mm SL.
Fig. 4. Ventral views of disarticulated gas bladders (scale bars equal
1 cm). (A)Rhinodoras gallagheri, paratype FMNH 116466, 90.2 mm
SL; (B)R. dorbignyi, ANSP 179535, 194 mm SL.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Thanks for posting Eric, nice to see the key linked into all those species entries which will be helpful for many folks who encounter some of these species fairly regularly.

Cheers,

Jools
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

You're welcome, Jools. It's fun to dig into papers and extract the keys. Only downside to this one is it begins with the dissected swim bladders. :))

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”