Another funky catfish

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Another funky catfish

Post by Silurus »

Kitagawa, T & K Hosoya, 2015. An anomalous hatchery-reared Biwa rock catfish, Silurus lithophilus (Teleostei: Siluridae),with an adipose fin-like projection. Zoological Science 32: 435–437.

Abstract

An anomalous individual with an adipose fin-like projection was discovered during seedling production of Biwa rock catfish, Silurus lithophilus (Teleostei: Siluridae). The external shape of the projection resembled an adipose fin, but soft rays were clearly observed within it. The projection was proximally supported by a series of pterygiophores and by 14 soft rays. The projection can be explained as: I, homologous with a primitive adipose fin, which occurred as a result of localized ontogenetic reversion; II, an extra fin that occurred as a result of abnormal expression of a regeneration mechanism; III, a remnant of a dorsal fin and/or a second dorsal fin; and IV, an inversion phenomenon of the polarity in the formation process of the anal fin.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”