Feeding ecology of Mystus tengara

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Feeding ecology of Mystus tengara

Post by Silurus »

Mitu, NR & MM Alam, 2016. Feeding ecology of a bagrid catfish, Mystus tengara (Hamilton, 1822) in the Tanore wetland of Rajshahi, Northwestern Bangladesh. Journal of Applied Ichthyology doi: 10.1111/jai.13049.

Abstract

The feeding ecology of Mystus tengara (Hamilton, 1822) was studied in the Tanore wetland of Rajshahi, northwestern Bangladesh from January 2011 to December 2011. In fish purchased from the local market, a total of 14 713 food items were identified in the stomach contents of 3191 M. tengara specimens, an omnivorous catfish with a diversified feeding strategy including cladocerans, copepods, rotifers, gastropods, green algae, diatoms, insects, ‘small fish remains, fish fry and eggs’ and ‘other’ food items. Insects were the most dominant group of prey throughout the year. Seasonal changes in diet composition were due to the availability of prey items and fish size. Ontogenetic changes were noted between the juveniles and adults. The gut contents of M. tengara showed that the food items were from different layers of the water bodies.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”