New Panaqolus: L398 = Panaqolus tankei

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

New Panaqolus: L398 = Panaqolus tankei

Post by bekateen »

Cramer, C.A., & Melo de Sousa, L. 2016. A New Species of Tiger Pleco Panaqolus (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) from the Xingu Basin, Brazil. PLoS ONE 11(11): e0165388. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0165388
Cramer & Melo de Sousa wrote:ABSTRACT
is described from the Xingu River, Brazil. The new species is diagnosed from P. albomaculatus, P. dentex, P. nix, P. nocturnus, and P. koko by its color pattern consisting of dark and light diagonal bars on the body and bands on the fins (vs. body and fins without bars or bands); from P. albivermis, P. maccus, and P. purusiensis by the width of the dark bars being more or less the same of the light bars (vs. dark bars at least two or three times wider than light bars) and from P. changae by the absence of vermiculation on the head (vs. vermiculation present on head). The new species differs from P. gnomus by the orientation of the bars from posterodorsal to anteroventral direction (vs. anterodorsal to posteroventral direction), and from P. claustellifer by the orientation of the bands in the dorsal fin that are not parallel to the margin (vs. parallel to the margin). The barcoding region (COI) was sequenced for the new species, sequences were deposited in GenBank and were compared with congeners from other drainages. With regard to the current construction of a hydroelectric power plant (a so-called mega dam) in the Xingu River, herewith we increase knowledge of the river Xingu’s ichthyofauna and, thus improve the assessment of the impacts of that construction on the river.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: New Panaqolus: L398 = Panaqolus tankei

Post by Birger »

Cangradulations go to Andreas For managing to get his name used for this fish...a great honor!

Birger
Birger
andi
My images: 130
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 45
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Neustadt am Rübenberge
Interests: Panaqolus, Panaqolus, Panaqolus, Panaqolus

Re: New Panaqolus: L398 = Panaqolus tankei

Post by andi »

Hi Birger,
thank you very much.
I'm very happy about it, especially because it was my first Panaqolus and also the first that I've bred. So I always will have a special relationship to this species. And it is also from my favorite river: The Xingu!

Cheers Andi
Cheers, Andreas from Neustadt a. Rbge. (former Germanys fourth biggest Town)

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”