Checklist of the Fishes of Paraguay

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Checklist of the Fishes of Paraguay

Post by lfinley58 »

Checklist of the Fishes of Paraguay (CLOFPY). Stefan Koerber, Héctor S. Vera-Alcaraz & Roberto E. Reis.
Ichthyological Contributions of PecesCriollos 53: 1-99 (2017). Open access, link below.

Abstract:
A checklist of all freshwater fish species demonstrated to occur in Paraguay is presented with the aim of providing an updated list of all known fishes from Paraguay and to establish a baseline to keep the inventory updated. Species listed herein are only those that appear in published papers based on actual collection records. Type localities are provided for primary types of species originally described from Paraguay. For each species, the current name combination is followed by a list of synonyms, beginning with the original name combination, and followed by a list of literature citations for the Paraguayan territory. A total of 307 fish species were confirmed and listed, four of which are categorized as threatened, and including four introduced exotic species. Two thirds of the species belong to the Characiformes and Siluriformes, among the twelve orders and 39 families listed. A description of the hydrographic systems of Paraguay as well as an overview of the history of the ichthyology in Paraguay are also presented.

This should be good for possibly expanding some distribution information in the Cat-eLog.
Lee F.

https://media.hotelwebservice.com/media ... clofpy.pdf

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”