Interpopulation variation in color pattern of Trichomycterus davisi

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Interpopulation variation in color pattern of Trichomycterus davisi

Post by lfinley58 »

Intrapopulational variation in color pattern of Trichomycterus davisi (Haseman, 1911) (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae) corroborated by morphometrics and molecular analysis by RAUL HENRIQUE CARDOSO NASCIMENTO, WILSON FRANTINE-SILVA, LENICE SOUZA-SHIBATTA, SILVIA HELENA SOFIA, JULIANO FERRER, OSCAR AKIO SHIBATTA. Zootaxa, 2017, Volume 4291, Number 3: 503 - 518.
Abstract:
Color patterns of the body are commonly used to distinguish and identify species of Trichomycterus. Therefore, variation in color pattern in a population can cause doubt concerning species identification. With the purpose to test the hypothesis of high variation in color pattern of Trichomycterus davisi (Haseman, 1911), 118 specimens were collected in a stream of a private Ecological Park in southern Brazil, of which 88 were used in the morphological analysis and 30 for DNA barcoding analysis. Three phenotypic classes were determined analyzing the distribution, size and shape of dark brown spots and blotches. The results of morphometric analysis indicate a tendency of association of those pigmentation patterns with the standard length, evidencing ontogenetic variation of color pattern in the species. The results of K2P intraspecific genetic distance (<0.72%), haplotypes network and Bayesian phylogenetic tree corroborate the existence of only one species with a high variable color pattern.

https://biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/vie ... a.4290.3.5
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Re: Interpopulation variation in color pattern of Trichomycterus davisi

Post by lfinley58 »

I just noticed that I had made a goof up in the title of this piece. The first word, "Interpopulation", should have been Intrapopulation. The correct word is used in the body of the post.

Sorry about that.

Lee

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”