Trichomycterus ocanaensis, new species

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Trichomycterus ocanaensis, new species

Post by lfinley58 »

Ardila Rodriguez, C.A. 2017. Trichomycterus ocanaensis (SILURIFORMES: TRICHOMYCTERIDAE) UNA NUEVA ESPECIE DE PEZ DEL RÍO TEJO, CUENCA ALTA DEL RÍO CATATUMBO. DEPARTAMENTO DE NORTE DE SANTANDER - COLOMBIA. Barranquilla, Departamento del Atlántico, (3): 1-19.
Abstract:
Trichomycterus ocanaensis sp.nov. is a big catfish in this genus of the upper Catatumbo River basin, Department of North of Santander, Colombia. T. ocanaensis sp.nov. differs from other species of the genus for: it has three processes or fenotypic changes within the mentioned genus. The specimens of 25,9 - 85,9 mm L.E. have a few black big points in the lateral line increasing along the corporal length; the second line of black big points in the top part of the lateral line. A black point in the previous part of the interoperculus. The pre and post dorsal region has a line of black points. The head has black points that vanish with the size of the body. The specimens of 146 mm. L.E. have a black broad stripe well defined in the horizontal line, small points in the whole body. Color of the top part of the body brownish and whitish to pink in abdomen. A black stripe in the top lateral part of the body. A black line in the predorsal . A specimen of 286 mm. L.E. has the whole body of light gray color with small black points, the dorsal region is of dark gray color. The caudal and pelvic fins with black points and of dark gray color. The abdominal region of white color. The dorsal part of the head, dark gray and the ventral part of light yellow color.

Open access at:
https://carlosardilarodriguez.files.wor ... aensis.pdf

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”