Checklist of the freshwater fishes of Colombia

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Checklist of the freshwater fishes of Colombia

Post by lfinley58 »

DoNascimiento C., Herrera-Collazos E.E., Herrera-R G.A., Ortega-Lara A., Villa-Navarro F.A., Usma-Oviedo
J.S., Maldonado-Ocampo J.A. (2017) Checklist of the freshwater fishes of Colombia: a Darwin Core alternative to the updating problem. ZooKeys 708: 25–138. https://doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.708.13897
Abstract:
The present work is part of a process to create a Catalogue of the Freshwater Fishes of Colombia and
consisted in the depuration and updating of the taxonomic and geographic components of the checklist
of the freshwater fishes of Colombia. An exhaustive revision of the 1435 species recorded in 2008 was
necessary to: 1. Add new species described since 2009 and species originally described from Colombia
but inadvertently omitted in 2008; 2. Add new records of already described species; 3. Delete species
whose presence in Colombia was not supported by voucher specimens in ichthyological collections; and
4. Revise the geographic distribution of the species listed in 2008. This process resulted in the following
numbers: 1. Total number of freshwater fish species in Colombia: 1494; 2. Number of species recorded
by hydrographic region - Amazon: 706, Orinoco: 663, Caribbean: 223, Magdalena-Cauca: 220, Pacific:
130; and 3. Number of endemic species: 374 (76% from the trans-Andean region). Updating the current
checklist is a fundamental requirement to ensure its incorporation in the decision-making process with
regard to the conservation of Colombian aquatic species and ecosystems, which are facing transformation
processes as a result of activities such as mining, construction of hydroelectric plants, expansion of the
agricultural frontier and subsequent deforestation, industrial and domestic pollution, development of
waterways, introduction of exotic species, and climate change.
Open access at:
https://zookeys.pensoft.net/article/13897/
lfinley58
Expert

Re: Checklist of the freshwater fishes of Colombia

Post by lfinley58 »

Hello all.
The pensoft website is acting a bit funny and the links above (at least for the moment - hour?) may lock up. But by following the link below you will be able to get access to the PDF which is at the top of the list of papers.

Lee

https://zookeys.pensoft.net/browse_jour ... earch_in=0
lfinley58
Expert

Re: Checklist of the freshwater fishes of Colombia

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi again.
One more thing in regards to this paper: Don't overlook the supplementary files (especially numbers four and five). They contain some interesting information regarding taxonomy on a variety of catfishes.
Lee

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”