Redescription of Dekeyseria picta (Siluriformes; Loricariidae)

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Redescription of Dekeyseria picta (Siluriformes; Loricariidae)

Post by lfinley58 »

Redescription of Dekeyseria picta (Siluriformes; Loricariidae), a poorly known ancistrin from the Amazon and Orinoco Basins by R. R. Silva & L. H. Rapp Py–Daniel. Journal of Fish Biology, Early View, Online Version of Record before inclusion in an issue. First published: 26 March 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfb.13603.

Abstract:
A re‐evaluation of Dekeyseria brachyura and D. pulchra found them to be junior synonyms of D. picta, the oldest species among these congeners, based on continuous intraspecific variation in morphometrics and colour pattern. Examination of material deposited at Brazilian and Venezuelan collections, including the original type specimens of Ancistrus brachyurus and A. pictus, plus samples recently collected in the Rio Negro, Amazonas, Brazil, allowed re‐evaluation of the taxonomic status of D. picta and provides additional information on its distribution, habitats and reproductive strategies.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... /jfb.13603

This topic was discussed recently in another forum, but it was thought that it best be also covered herein.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Redescription of Dekeyseria picta (Siluriformes; Loricariidae)

Post by bekateen »

lfinley58 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 16:08This topic was discussed recently in another forum, but it was thought that it best be also covered herein.
Here's the previous discussion: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=46231
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jessman101
Location 1: Australia
Location 2: Australia

Post by Jessman101 »

Hi,

So Dekeyseria sp 052 and Dekeyseria Brachyura are the same fish, just different collection points?

I am lead to believe I have 052 and 168 currently, is it safe to breed the two together or best to seperate?

Thanks,
Jessie.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Jessie,

That's a tough question to answer. The easy answer is this: If you believe the scientific paper is accurate and conclusive, then you could breed them without fear of making an interspecific hybrid.

That said, there are hobbyists who keep both L#'s and some who've bred both, and some of these people remain convinced that L052 and L168 are distinctive. But even if they are a single species, keep in mind that they are still recognizable based on color pattern, so if you cross breed them, you'll lose their uniqueness.

From the latter perspective, it's probably not a good idea to cross breed them.
Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Personaly I don't believe something as a species does excist. People thought of it, in order to be able to understand the word around them.

For instance, Corydoras aeneus has a very large ditribution area, They are found in Amazonian rivers and I've seen them in Uruguay, where in winter the water can reach 5 C. But I'm rather certain that if you keep an Amazonian C aeneus as if it came from Uruguay, it will not survive the winter. And if you keep an Uruguayan one in an amazone tank, it will not reach its potential 10 years of age because of the high temperature.

I think the reality is populations. That is a gene pool, where genes are actively exchanged. Your L168 comes from another area then the L052, and they will not meet. Period.

I keep Xiphophorus hellerii from different collecting places separated, just as if they were different species. In fact, they look rather different.
cats have whiskers
Fundulopanchax76
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

Bas Pels what do you mean species dont exist ! You can cross human with chimpanzee then ? If L 168 and 52 are one species, they are at least diferent races , like human races. So everybody decides will he mix them or not !
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Species don't exist, but evolutionary lines do. Very short ones are populations, longer are genusses

Chimpansees are Troglodites, we are Homo.

However, when discussing animals, I think it would NEVER do to compare them with humans.

Is it a good idea to interbreed humans with different skin colors? I think the question is utterly wrong, nobody should be in a position to breed humans. But I think nothing is wrong if a dark boy loves a light girl.

Should one breed a German shepherd with a Huskey?

I think this is a very different question. I would answer with why, what would you want to do with the offspring?

In terms of aquariumfish, I think, and this is my personal opinion, that nature has provided a lot of interesting fishes - we humans don't need to "improve" on that. In fact, we should not.

But in term of fish, bred to be eaten - I think it is a very good idea to produce sterile fishes for this purpose. Firstly because these grow bigger, secondly because they don't waste energy reproducing and thirdly because any fish released in the wild will not be the start of a danger to nature.

So - should one hybridize animals? I think sometimes yes and sometimes no.
cats have whiskers
Fundulopanchax76
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

Humans are animal, particularly apes ! If they do everything like animals, so they are animals ! Some people have and mind too, but not everyone of them lol ! About hybridizing of aquarium fish, people can hybridize everything what they want if feel need of that - thats my opinion !
Jessman101
Location 1: Australia
Location 2: Australia

Post by Jessman101 »

Thanks for the response guys. I think it would be best to seperate them even if they are the same. You do make a good point Eric about losing there uniqueness.

Cheers Jessie.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”