Parotocinclus adamanteus, a new species of Loricariidae.

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Parotocinclus adamanteus, a new species of Loricariidae.

Post by lfinley58 »

An Enigmatic New Loricariid (Actinopterygii: Siluriformes) from Relictual Upper Reaches of Chapada Diamantina, Bahia, Brazil by Edson H. L. Pereira, Alexandre Clistenes de A. Santos, Mário C. C. de Pinna, and Roberto E. Reis. Copeia, 2019, Vol. 107, No. 4: 597-605.

Abstract:

Parotocinclus adamanteus, new species, is described from a series of specimens collected in the upper portion of the Rio Paraguaçu basin, a coastal river within the Chapada Diamantina domain, a large plateau on the State of Bahia in northeastern Brazil. The description of this new species represents the first record of a member of the Hypoptopomatinae from this relictual area. The new species is diagnosed from other Parotocinclus by having a distinct rostral border forming a fleshy intumescence on the lateral portion of head ornamented with moderately hypertrophied odontodes in adult males. It is also diagnosed from congeners by a remarkable secondary sexual dimorphism in the shape of the pelvic fin, in which the branched rays of males decrease in size, resulting in a pointed posterior fin margin (branched pelvic-fin rays in females have approximately the same size, producing a round posterior fin margin). In addition, the new species can be further distinguished from other species of Parotocinclus by lacking a rostral plate covering the tip of the mesethmoid anteriorly, by lacking abdominal plates between the pectoral girdle and the anus, by having numerous premaxillary teeth (45–61), and by having a short and mesially expanded ventral portion of the cheek canal plate. Recent phylogenetic analysis indicates that Parotocinclus adamanteus, new species, is closely related to P. jequi, P. prata, and P. robustus.

https://www.asihcopeiaonline.org/doi/ab ... /CI-19-244
Last edited by lfinley58 on 05 Nov 2019, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Parotocinclus adamanteus, a new species of Loricariidae.

Post by Jools »

Thanks for posting Lee, if anyone has a PDF they can share it'd be appreciated...

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”