Acanthobunocephalus scruggsi new species (Aspredinidae)

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Acanthobunocephalus scruggsi new species (Aspredinidae)

Post by lfinley58 »

Tiago P. Carvalho and Roberto E. Reis, 2020. A New Miniature Species of Acanthobunocephalus (Silurifomes: Aspredinidae) from the Lower Purus River Basin, Amazon Basin, Brazil. Copeia108, Number 2: 347-357.

A second species of Acanthobunocephalus is described from tributaries of the lower Purus River in the Amazon Basin,Brazil. Acanthobunocephalus scruggsi, new species, is distinguished from all other aspredinid species by its reduced number of fin rays: four pectoral-fin rays (vs. five or more), two dorsal-fin rays (vs. three or more, except Amaralia hypsiura), five pelvic-fin rays (vs. six), four to five anal-fin rays (vs. six or more, except Bunocephalus verrucosus), and nine caudal-fin rays (vs. 10, except Hoplomyzontinae, Amaralia, Platystacus, Bunocephalus chamaizelus, and Bunocephalus minerim). Osteological aspects of the new species of Acanthobunocephalus are described using cleared and stained specimens and high-resolution x-ray computed tomography (HRXCT), and compared with Acanthobunocephalus nicoi and other aspredinids. Generic assignment is based on putative apomorphic shared features and a morphological diagnosis for Acanthobunocephalus is presented.
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: Acanthobunocephalus scruggsi new species (Aspredinidae)

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Named for Earl Scruggs (1924–2012) who was a banjo player! b-)
Last edited by Dave Rinaldo on 28 May 2020, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
lfinley58
Expert

Post by lfinley58 »

Thank you gentlemen for the additions!
Lee
lfinley58
Expert

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi all.
There have been some discussions regarding the species name for this fish (Huh?). So to flesh it out, I below offer up the etymology as noted in the paper.

"Etymology.—Acanthobunocephalus scruggsi in named after Earl Scruggs, a prominent American banjo player known for popularizing a three-finger banjo picking style, also known as‘‘Scruggs style", which is characteristic of bluegrass music. The name of the species also makes an allusion to the common name given to aspredinid species in general (banjo catfishes), and the remarkable resemblance of the new species with this musical instrument."

You may not know of Earl, but you might very well know what is probably his most famous piece of music - "Dueling Banjos". With just about everyone still in at least semi-inside mode it might be a good time to watch the movie Deliverance again...or for the first time if you haven't seen it.

Lee

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”