Morphological and genetic diversity in Pareiorhaphis hystrix

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Morphological and genetic diversity in Pareiorhaphis hystrix

Post by bekateen »

Fagundes PC, Pereira EHL, Reis RE (2020) Iterative taxonomic study of (Siluriformes, Loricariidae) suggests a single, yet phenotypically variable, species in south Brazil. PLoS ONE 15(9): e0237160. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0237160

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0237160
Abstract
is a widely distributed species, occurring in the upper and middle Uruguay River and in the Taquari River basin, Patos Lagoon system, southern Brazil. Morphological variation has been detected throughout the distribution of P. hystrix, and this work seeks to test the conspecific nature of populations in several occurrence areas. Specimens from six areas in the Uruguay River basin and three in the Taquari River basin were compared. Variance analysis (ANOVA) was performed for the meristic data, and Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Linear Discriminant Analysis (LDA) were conducted for morphometric data. Molecular analyses used coI, cytb, 12S and 16S mitochondrial genes, examining nucleotide diversity, haplotype diversity, genetic distance, and delimitation of possible multiple species through the Generalized Mixed Yule Coalescent (GMYC) method. Phylogenetic relationships of studied populations were also investigated through Bayesian inference. While PCA indicated a tendency of overlap between areas, ANOVA and LDA detected a subtle differentiation between populations from the two hydrographic basins. Yet, both latter analyses recovered the population from Pelotas River, a tributary to Uruguay River, as more similar to populations from Taquari River, which is congruent to morphological observations of anterior abdominal plates. The molecular data indicated a nucleotide diversity lower than the haplotypic diversity, suggestive of recent expansion. The concatenated haplotype network points to slight differentiation between areas, with each locality presenting unique and non-shared haplotypes, although with few mutational steps in general. The species delimitation by coalescence analysis suggested the presence of a variable number of OTUs depending on the inclusion or exclusion of an outgroup. In general, the morphological data suggest a subtle variation by river basin, while the genetic data indicates a weak population structuration by hydrographic areas, especially the Chapecó and Passo Fundo rivers. However, there is still not enough differentiation between the specimens to suggest multiple species. The iterative analyses indicate that Pareiorhaphis hystrix is composed of a single, although variable, species.
Attachments
Fig 1. Pareiorhaphis hystrix, male, 99.2 mm SL in dorsal, lateral and ventral views. Middle Antas River, Taquari River basin
Fig 1. Pareiorhaphis hystrix, male, 99.2 mm SL in dorsal, lateral and ventral views. Middle Antas River, Taquari River basin
Fig 2. Pareiorhaphis hystrix, female, 85.0 mm SL. Ponte Alta River, tributary to Canoas River, Uruguay River basin
Fig 2. Pareiorhaphis hystrix, female, 85.0 mm SL. Ponte Alta River, tributary to Canoas River, Uruguay River basin
Fig 3. Distribution of sampling localities of Pareiorhaphis hystrix and outgroups, including both alcohol specimens and tissue samples
Fig 3. Distribution of sampling localities of Pareiorhaphis hystrix and outgroups, including both alcohol specimens and tissue samples
Fig 4. Variation in development of cheek fleshy lobe and associated odontodes of males of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) Chapecó; (B) Ijuí; (C) Middle Uruguay; (D) Passo Fundo; (E) Middle Antas; (F) Canoas; (G) Prata; (H) Ijuí; (I) Upper Antas; (J) Middle Antas; (K) Upper Antas
Fig 4. Variation in development of cheek fleshy lobe and associated odontodes of males of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) Chapecó; (B) Ijuí; (C) Middle Uruguay; (D) Passo Fundo; (E) Middle Antas; (F) Canoas; (G) Prata; (H) Ijuí; (I) Upper Antas; (J) Middle Antas; (K) Upper Antas
Fig 5. Variation in development of pectoral-fin spine odontodes of males of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) short, Middle Uruguay; (B) long, Middle Antas. Arrows indicate the odontodes.
Fig 5. Variation in development of pectoral-fin spine odontodes of males of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) short, Middle Uruguay; (B) long, Middle Antas. Arrows indicate the odontodes.
Fig 6. Variation in color pattern of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) small dark blotches, female, Ijuí; (B) large dark blotches, female, Ijuí; (C) coarse vermiculations, male, Middle Uruguay; (D) fine vermiculations, male, Upper Antas
Fig 6. Variation in color pattern of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) small dark blotches, female, Ijuí; (B) large dark blotches, female, Ijuí; (C) coarse vermiculations, male, Middle Uruguay; (D) fine vermiculations, male, Upper Antas
Fig 7. Schematic drawing of anterior abdominal plate variation in specimens of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) Passo Fundo; (B) Chapecó; (C) Middle Uruguay; (D) Canoas; (E) Ijuí
Fig 7. Schematic drawing of anterior abdominal plate variation in specimens of Pareiorhaphis hystrix. (A) Passo Fundo; (B) Chapecó; (C) Middle Uruguay; (D) Canoas; (E) Ijuí
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”