Silurus glanis hunt for new foods

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Silurus glanis hunt for new foods

Post by bekateen »

Boulêtreau, S., Fauvel, T., Laventure, M., Delacour, R., Bouyssonnié, W., Azémar, F., & Santoul, F. (2020). “The giants’ feast”: predation of the large introduced European catfish on spawning migrating allis shads. Aquatic Ecology, 1-9.

https://doi.org/10.1007/s10452-020-09811-8
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-09811-8
European catfish is a large non-native opportunistic predator able to develop hunting strategy in response to newly available prey where it has been introduced. Migrating spawning anadromous prey such as allis shad Alosa alosa could represent this available and energy-rich food resource. Here, we report an impressive catfish hunting behavior on shad spawning act in one of the main spawning grounds in Europe (Garonne River, Southwest France). Shad spawning act consists of at least one male and one female swimming side by side, trashing the water surface with their tail which, therefore, produces a splashing noise audible from the river bank. The catfish hunting behavior on shad spawning act was studied, at night, during spring months, using both auditory and video survey. Simultaneously, catfish individuals were fishing to analyze their stomach content. Catfish disturbed 12% of the 1024 nocturnal spawning acts we heard, and this proportion increased to 37% among the 129 spawning acts when estimated with low-light camera recording. Stomach content analyses on 251 large catfish individuals (body length> 128 cm) caught in the same river stretch revealed shad represented 88.5% of identified prey items in catfish diet. This work demonstrates that European catfish predation must be considered as a significant factor of mortality of allis shad. In a context of the extension of the European catfish range area in western and southern European freshwaters, this new trophic impact, with other ones previously described for salmon or lamprey, has to be considered in European conservation plans of anadromous species.
Attachments
Fig. 2 Nocturnal scene of one allis shad spawning act (S), showing four European catfish individuals (#1–4) and one catfish (#1) coming close to the spawning act (panels a, b and c) to attack it (panel d).
Fig. 2 Nocturnal scene of one allis shad spawning act (S), showing four European catfish individuals (#1–4) and one catfish (#1) coming close to the spawning act (panels a, b and c) to attack it (panel d).
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Silurus glanis hunt for new foods

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Interesting. Thanks.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

What strikes me a bit is reading that Siluris glanis is not native, without stating where.

Further down it looks like the where is the Garonne River, Southwest France - but as far as I know, the catfish is native in whole Europe. Perhaps the British island excluded.

This does puzzle me
cats have whiskers
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Pretty sure not native in Ireland, all of Scandanavia etc. too? Is it not Danube or Rhine basin it's origin range? Might not be mind you, it's maybe an introduction into Europe from further east, don't know. Pretty destructive alien I would have thought, I remember our local pond (Inverleith Pond, Edinburgh) being drained and a single monster being pulled from the mud.

Jools
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi all.

In the text of the paper the native distribution of S. glanis is given as below (based on a referenced paper from 2009). It has, of course, been widely introduced elsewhere:
"The species is native from Eastern Europe. Its native distribution extends from Germany eastward through to Poland, up to Southern Sweden, and down to Southern Turkey and Northern Iran through the Baltic States to Russia and to the Aral Sea of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan..."

Lee
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

Odd

As it is a native species in The Netherlands, and protected, I am not allowed to keep them. (not that I intended to do so). But the Netherlands is west of Germany, and thus not on this list.
cats have whiskers
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Kottelat & Freyhof (2007; native range red, introduced range green):
PXL_20201123_144052328.jpg
Netherlands is Lower Rhine, so native to Netherlands :)
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

Thank you!!

This does explain a lot. We were just overlooked in the list of countries.
cats have whiskers
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi Bas Pels and Racoll,

Thanks for your inputs on the Netherlands population situation with S. glanis. The distribution patterns of catfishes, especially around the broader population edges (whether natural or human influenced), is an interesting topic. Various known, and theoretical concepts, with S. glanis populations in the Netherlands (I took a dive into a number of published works) have made for some interesting general reading. I don't "have a dog in that show", but do just enjoy reading various catfishes topics. Thanks for the stimulation... and oh yes, thanks to Eric also for initially posting reference to the paper.

Lee

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”