Early development of Pimelodus blochii

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Early development of Pimelodus blochii

Post by lfinley58 »

FABÍOLA KATRINE SOUZA DA SILVA, RUINERIS ALMADA CAJADO, LUCAS SILVA DE OLIVEIRA, FRANK RAYNNER VASCONCELOS RIBEIRO & DIEGO MAIA ZACARDI. 2021. Early ontogeny of Pimelodus blochii Valenciennes, 1840 (Siluriformes: Pimelodidae): Neotropical catfish. Zootaxa, Volume 4948, Number 1: 83-98.

Abstract:
Larval ontogeny of the long-whiskered catfish Pimelodus blochii Valenciennes, 1840 is described, providing useful characters for identification and determining the growth pattern throughout its development. Eighty-nine larvae classified in three stages (preflexion, flexion and postflexion) and 30 juveniles were analyzed, totaling 119 individuals. The specimens were collected monthly from January 2013 to May 2019 in the lower Amazon river. A suite of morphological, morphometric, and meristic data was used to describe the stages of development. Three analytical regression models were used: simple linear, quadratic and piecewise regressions. The larvae are characterized by small to moderate eyes, subinferior mouth, and long barbels (maxillary larger than the mental barbels), triangular-shaped adipose fin, and the final part of the intestine reaching half the body. Pigmentation consists of dendritic chromatophores distributed irregularly in the body, ventral region and head, intensifying in the flanks and dorsal region throughout development. The total number of myomeres has a mode of 42 muscle bundles, ranging from 40 to 42 (15 to 16 pre-and 25 to 26 post-anal) and the number of fin segments corresponded to: pectoral = I + 9, pelvic = 6, dorsal = I + 6 and anal = 11–12. All body variables showed discontinuous isometric growth, indicating a deceleration in the structural modeling of the body, between the flexion/post-flexion stages and acceleration in post-flexion/early juvenile period. Precisely when the formation of the fin rays, muscles and organs of the digestive system and ossification are observed, suggesting low morphological variation during ontogenetic development. Pimelodus blochii differs from other congeneric species in the lower Amazon river by meristic characters, which helps to correctly identify individuals in early stages of development.

https://www.mapress.com/j/zt/article/vi ... a.4948.1.4

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”