Fish of the Alto Madre de Dios

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 140 (i:102, k:37)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 38
Spotted: 175
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Fish of the Alto Madre de Dios

Post by bekateen »

Tobes I, Ramos-Merchante A, Araujo-Flores J, Pino-del-Carpio A, Ortega H, & Miranda R. (2021). Fish Ecology of the Alto Madre de Dios River Basin (Peru): Notes on Electrofishing Surveys, Elevation, Palm Swamp and Headwater Fishes. Water, 13(8):1038. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13081038

https://www.mdpi.com/2073-4441/13/8/1038/htm
Abstract
Our study analyzes the distribution of fish communities related to the environmental variables of the Alto Madre de Dios River, an Andean-Amazon watershed of southern Peru, between 300 and 2811 m a.s.l. within the Manu Biosphere Reserve. We provide new ecological and diversity data on fishes for these poorly studied rivers and new data for palm swamp habitats. With electric fishing techniques, we collected a total of 1934 fish specimens belonging to 78 species, 42 genera and 15 families. To assess main patterns of diversity we combined SIMPER and ANOSIM with canonical correspondence analysis to obtain an overview of the community structure of fish and their distribution related to aquatic habitats. Our results show an important shift on fish diversity at 700 m a.s.l. separating headwater and middle-lowland communities. Electrofishing was a hindrance due to the depth, flow and low conductivity of the rivers, but also allowed us to capture fish not observed with other techniques. We also compared the use of elevation with slope as an alternative variable for statistical analysis. Our results show that slope offers a solid and equivalent explanation for fish distribution variability, avoids redundance, and instead of giving geographical data offers ecologically solid information.
Keywords: Tropical Andes; Manu Biosphere Reserve; Astroblepus; Trichomycterus; Mauritia flexuosa
Attachments
Figure 4. Species and morphotypes of genus Trichomycterus collected in the upper Madre de Dios River. (A,B) Trichomycterus sp.3 collected on Américo stream (21Q), (C) Trichomycterus sp.2 collected on Unión River (20R), (D) Trichomycterus sp.2 collected on San Pedro River (19R), (E) Trichomycterus sp.3 collected on Quitacalzon stream (17Q), (F,G) Trichomycterus sp.5 collected on Quitacalzon stream (17Q), (H) Trichomycterus sp.4 collected on Salvación River (12R), (I) Trichomycterus sp.6 collected on Kosñipata River (16R), and (J) Trichomycterus sp.1 collected on Queros River (13R).
Figure 4. Species and morphotypes of genus Trichomycterus collected in the upper Madre de Dios River. (A,B) Trichomycterus sp.3 collected on Américo stream (21Q), (C) Trichomycterus sp.2 collected on Unión River (20R), (D) Trichomycterus sp.2 collected on San Pedro River (19R), (E) Trichomycterus sp.3 collected on Quitacalzon stream (17Q), (F,G) Trichomycterus sp.5 collected on Quitacalzon stream (17Q), (H) Trichomycterus sp.4 collected on Salvación River (12R), (I) Trichomycterus sp.6 collected on Kosñipata River (16R), and (J) Trichomycterus sp.1 collected on Queros River (13R).
Figure 5. Species and morphotypes of genus Astroblepus collected in the upper Madre de Dios River. (A) Astroblepus sp.2 collected on Américo stream (21Q), (B) Astroblepus sp.1 collected on Unión River (20R), (C) Reddish specimen of Astroblepus sp.1 collected on Unión River (20R), (D) Astroblepus sp.1 collected on San Pedro River (19R), (E) Astroblepus mancoi collected on San Pedro River (19R), (F) Astroblepus sp.2 collected on San Pedro River (19R), (G) Astroblepus sp.1 collected on Quitacalzon stream (17Q), (H) Astroblepus aff. longifilis collected on Kosñipata River (16R), (I) Astroblepus mancoi collected on Queros River (13R), and (J) Astroblepus aff. trifasciatus collected on Salvación River (12R).
Figure 5. Species and morphotypes of genus Astroblepus collected in the upper Madre de Dios River. (A) Astroblepus sp.2 collected on Américo stream (21Q), (B) Astroblepus sp.1 collected on Unión River (20R), (C) Reddish specimen of Astroblepus sp.1 collected on Unión River (20R), (D) Astroblepus sp.1 collected on San Pedro River (19R), (E) Astroblepus mancoi collected on San Pedro River (19R), (F) Astroblepus sp.2 collected on San Pedro River (19R), (G) Astroblepus sp.1 collected on Quitacalzon stream (17Q), (H) Astroblepus aff. longifilis collected on Kosñipata River (16R), (I) Astroblepus mancoi collected on Queros River (13R), and (J) Astroblepus aff. trifasciatus collected on Salvación River (12R).
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”