Glyptothorax of Tigris and Euphrates

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Glyptothorax of Tigris and Euphrates

Post by Silurus »

Freyhof, J, C Kaya, YS Abdullah & MF Geiger, 2021. The Glyptothorax catfishes of the Euphrates and Tigris with the description of a new species (Teleostei: Sisoridae). Zootaxa 4969:453–491.

Abstract

The Glyptothorax species inhabiting the Euphrates and Tigris drainages are reviewed and six species are recognised, one of which is described herein as new species. Glyptothorax armeniacus is endemic to headwater streams in the Euphrates drainage. Glyptothorax kurdistanicus is endemic to the upper Tigris downstream to the Lesser Zab drainage. Glyptothorax cous and G. steindachneri are riverine species widespread in both the Euphrates and Tigris drainages. Glyptothorax silviae is endemic to Iran. Glyptothorax daemon, new species, from the Greater Zab and Yanarsu in the upper Tigris drainage, is distinguished by having the thoracic adhesive apparatus strongly elevated, 1.1-1.2 times longer than wide, without tubercles on the head, well developed anteromedial striae, the medial pit without striae, and a short adipose fin. Glyptothorax daemon is separated into two mitochondrial lineages, externally indistinguishable and separated by a minimum K2P distance of 2.0% in the DNA barcode region. These lineages are paraphyletic in our analysis indicating past introgressive hybridisation with G. cous. All six species are diagnosed and all, except unstudied G. steindachneri, form distinct mitochondrial clades with between 1.2% and 3.4% minimum K2P distance between them. Species from the Euphrates and Tigris form a monophyletic mitochondrial group separated from 53 other Glyptothorax species studied from India and areas further east.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Glyptothorax of Tigris and Euphrates

Post by Jools »

Would appreciate a copy please if possible, thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Jools
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Re: Glyptothorax of Tigris and Euphrates

Post by Shovelnose »

A copy if possible HH, thanks.
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”