Type locality of Loricaria parnahybae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Type locality of Loricaria parnahybae

Post by Silurus »

Aguiar, RC, EC Guimarães, LF Carvalho-Costa & FP Ottoni, 2021. Historical review on the type locality of Knodus victoriae (Steindachner 1907) (Teleostei: Characidae) and Loricaria parnahybae Steindachner 1907 (Teleostei: Loricariidae). Biota Neotropica 21: e20211226.

Abstract

Based on the information and evidence on the zoological expedition led by the senior Austrian zoologist Franz Steindachner in 1903, the examination of original species descriptions using material collected in this expedition, the scientific literature on this expedition, examination of specimens of Knodus victoriae, and the consultation of State decrees modifying the name of localities and municipalities, we propose herein updated and accurate type localities for Knodus victoriae and Loricaria parnahybae. The accurate type locality for both species is at the mouth of a stream that flows into the Parnaiba River, Alto Parnaíba municipality in the State of Maranhão, upper Parnaiba River basin, northeastern Brazil. This update in the type locality aims to avoid doubts and confusion that hinder biogeographic and taxonomic studies.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”